Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Item Number Two

Here's Pay-It-Forward gifty #2, a wrap for my Becky Jayne with a pretty flower pin to keep it shut:

It's a pattern of my own devising, based on the idea of a prayer shawl and the Basket Stitch in Karen Hemingway's Super Stitches Knitting. It has a five-inch garter stitch border at each end and a five-stitch garter stitch border on either side. The rest is self-explanatory, I guess. You just repeat the pattern for as wide and as long as you want the wrap to be!
On another fun cooking note, I made Mindy's Honey Pecan chicken for supper tonight - yum! And easy too. I served it with a little salad topped with feta cheese and chopped pecans. Double yum!
On a sadder note, my Julianna has taken a call to serve at a church in Chicago. Julianna is my work friend. Now it will be just me and ol' Pastor. That, coupled with the ever-steepening gas prices (gas is running me about $80 a week, which is not as bad as it is for some, I'm sure, but too much for me) have me thinking about a job change. That isn't an easy thing to consider when you work in a small environment. Particularly in one as intimate as a church setting. The level of personal responsibility to each other is just....well....higher, I guess. I may see if he'd be willing to do a three-day work week for me, but even though I'd save gas money, I'd have to pay for after school care for the kids, so I can't see how that'll help.
But I have time. Chris and I are going to commit this to prayer and discussion and see what pops up. I was ready to go and have been, um, disenchanted with my job lately anyway, but the pastor seems pretty shaken up about Julianna's departure. When we talked about it Monday, I was moved to pity and felt like I should at least give him some time to get that staff issue settled before I take things too far. We shall see.
Summer is approaching, though. I have my wonderful Denise to help me with my kids. She's wonderful and I know she loves them. They had a great summer with her last year and she's inexplicably signed on for another go 'round with my young 'uns, but still. It isn't me. I'm not with them and I want to be.
I want to go to the beach with them.
I want to take them to Sea World.
I want to watch them at swimming lessons and pick them up from all the day camps they'll be in.
I want to take them to the fruit stand to pick out an afternoon snack.
I want to read books to them during our afternoon thunderstorms.
Me, me, me.
I guess this can't all be about me, though. Which sucks sometimes.

DAILY BLISS: a cup of fair-trade, organic, french-toast-flavored coffee and brushing my sweet girl's shower-fresh hair

4 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

ME-ME-ME- too! Let's quit and be mommies - well - or grandmommies.

mindy said...

i know exactly what you mean and i don't even have kids yet! i stayed home yesterday because i was sick, and when i went to the grocery store to pick up my prescription, i saw all these non-working moms shopping with their kids....and i thought, "arrrggghh! when will this be me?? i hate working! i hate staring at a computer screen all day!".....okay, i'm done venting now. :]

claibornes corner said...

Yea - you should be a mommie - that's what you were meant to be! And they grow up way too fast...

Amy Button said...

I love gift #2, how sweet.

I'm sorry for your disenchantment with your job. And $80 a week for gas, Yikes!!! It's hard for creative types to be stuck behind a desk and to have home and kids pulling at you makes it even more difficult. You guys have the right approach though and I'm pulling for an at home summer at least :)