Wednesday, May 21, 2008

IMHO

You should go see Prince Caspian. Now, if it's possible. I know Becky already said that last week, but I thought I'd drive the point home.
It was really well done and stayed very true to the book, which is nice. There's a little added romance, but with a prince that pretty, how could Susan resist a longing glance or two and a one-liner or two?
I also thought the creatures were much better this time around. Can I say that I was disappointed with them in the first movie? I know most people gasp when I say that. They wonder what I was thinking. I mean, Tumnus looked great and Aslan looked pretty good. But it was obvious which creatures they spent money on. Much better now. Trufflehunter was fabulous. And Reepicheep. My dear Reepicheep. Dashing.
That gallant little mouse is a favorite in our house. I've always found his character particularly charming. It must show through in my readings of the stories (which I've done out loud twice now - for my kids and not at all for my own enjoyment) because they were both very disappointed that he didn't have a squeaky little high English voice like mine. What can I say? I should have been a cartoon voice artist or whatever they call 'em. Or maybe I just have a multiple personality problem. It could be that.
These stories are buried so deep in my heart, though. I loved them as a child and I still love them. I love what I can learn from them as an adult, whether Lewis really intended all of that or not. Through the whole movie, tears burned at the corners of my eyes and I kept thinking "this is even better than I imagined!" Especially the dryads. Considering how often I have imagined Narnia, that's saying something. Admittedly, my reaction there has much more to do with my emotional attachment to the characters than the brilliance of the adaptation.
Well, I didn't intend for this to be a movie-review post. Apologies. It seems there was more to say today, but it has all escaped me.

DAILY BLISS: a night out with the fam

6 comments:

claibornes corner said...

I have no idea what you are talking about!!!!

Christy said...

Heh heh. Sorry Nana. Where shall I start? "IMHO" means in my humble opinion. Price Caspian is that new Disney movie that's based on a Chronicles of Narnia book by CS Lewis that I read when I was a kid, and have shared (multiple times) with my kids.....does that help?

frabjouspoet said...

I *SO* love the Narnia books and have since I read TLWW in 2nd grade. (I found the book on a shelf in my bedroom.) I might go see the movie Monday afternoon since I love afternoon movies (when I really should be doing something else). Hmm, I think one of the new kittens shall be christened Reepicheep. I love him, too. (I cry at the end of VDT EVERYT TIME!!)

Christy said...

Ooooo, me too Alli. Of course, I cry lots of times throughout all the books. My kids think I'm a little crazy. I think I love the whole destiny element to that character. His destiny was spoken over him as a baby and he confidently pursues it. If you do name one of your kittens Reepicheep, I will have to meet it. Have to.

bridges said...

Christy, I too am a lurker! It was amusing to me to know that we are busy lurking on each other's blog but neither of us have really commented, until now! I can't wait to see the movie.

Courtney

Christy said...

Hey Courtney! That's really funny! I guess I'll have to be good now and drop comments on you more often :)