Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater

I had to go to the dentist today, which turned out to be the cause of some very nice events. I know that seems unbelievable, but it's true. I was there. I can vouch for it.
My appointment was at 11:00, which seems a very awkward time and I can't imagine what I was thinking when I scheduled it. Too early to go to work first and almost too late to go to work after and definitely in the wrong spot for "long lunch." So, I took Emma to swimming lessons and left her in Denise's charge after that while I took Andrew to photography camp, which is at the museum. Which is right by the lake with all the swans. And I fully planned to grab a loaf of bird bread and sit on a bench, happily knitting and feeding sweet feathered friends. But there were people all over the place at the museum, which is weird because it wasn't open yet. We passed a particularly cool-looking cluster of young adults on our way in. As I came out, I noticed one of them giving me a weird look. I kind of brushed it off and then I realized that it was the singer from my brother's band. But he doesn't know who I am....I mean, we've met and all, but, you know. He's the lead singer. It's not his job to keep track of people who aren't cool. It then occurred to me that Andrew was wearing his tee shirt from their last album. That must've been the reason for the weird look! Aha.
But seeing him made me remember that my brother is actually at home right now, which is actually across the street from the museum, on the side. Literally. I mean, instead of a house across the street from his porch, he has the museum. So I called him and we sat on his porch for a while instead of knitting. Not that he had plans to knit. That sentence was a little awkward, huh?
And the other thing is that the dental hygienist told me I had beautiful teeth, which is nice to hear because I don't think they are at all. In fact, I still have one baby tooth. True story! It's getting a little bit discolored by now and sometimes makes me look like I'm missing a tooth when I smile. I hate that. But having beautiful teeth is a nice way to get started on the rest of your day. Oh, and my dentist is the flirting type, which always makes you feel a little better when you're sitting in a chair with drool and grainy tooth paste dripping out of the side of your mouth.
I went on to work and when I came home, I hosted a buddy for Andrew (they played lots of XBox) and made honey-lime chicken for dinner and totally invented a nice vinaigrette dressing for the salad and I whipped up some of those chocolate/oatmeal no-bake cookies that everybody's mom used to make. Whew! I got the sauce for the cookies going in the pan and realized I haven't any cocoa powder. Guess what? Nesquik will do, in a pinch. I think the Nesquik was left over from cocoa mixes at Christmas. I'm not sure why it'd be in there otherwise.....
Now, for a confession. I cheated. I mean, I know I promised to wear only skirts and dresses, I know. But that's for summer and summer hasn't officially started yet, right? That's Friday - the Summer Solstice. I'm trying to talk myself out of the guilt of breaking my Vow of Total Pants Abstinence (thank you, Becky, for coining the phrase). But these pants - they were only five dollars! They needed a little hemming because my legs are a wee bit shorter than most legs. But - five dollars! That deserves a place in my summer wardrobe. Five dollars - and they're striped like pillow ticking, my favorite. See? Wouldn't you cheat with these pants?

DAILY BLISS: Devouring too many Chapi and Chapo cartoons with Emma. They are so dang cute - I used to love them on Pinwheel (on Nickelodeon) when I was a kid.

8 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Damn, you look skinny! I'm so jealous!! Five bucks and smokin' hot to boot!! You are TOTALLY excused from the vow of pants abstinence in this case. It's clearly due to the special-pants clause. I mean, its SPECIAL with these pants. It's not like you're just going around wearing every pair of pants you see, right?

Mary said...

Cute pants. Maybe you could turn them into a skirt. Kidding.

Christy said...

Ha! Beck, I must admit to having taken at least six photos to get a good angle and make my ass look smaller :) But yeah - I mean, these pants and I, we have something special. And the skirts never have to know.

frabjouspoet said...

I want to know just what angle you used for this photo! Patent and market it for all the wide women in the world. (Oh, and the pants are adorable. What a steal!)

Liz Harrell said...

Yes Skinny Minnie... those pants are the cutest! :)

claibornes corner said...

I too love the pants and you are always beautiful.....

Amy Button said...

Love the pants! I don't think that I could ever do a "pants abstinence" type of thing. Maybe it stems from being in private school and having to wear dresses on Wednesdays (the horror) but I'm much more a shorts and sandals type of girl. Of course, my lack of "real job" probably helps.

mindy said...

holy cow, that is a great angle....lookin' hot, miss! are those pants seersucker? i absolutely love seersucker....