Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer Crush

So, okay. I have a summer crush. I am prone to having summer crushes, though. The last couple of years it was that lifeguard where the kids take swimming lessons. He collects old books (and actually reads them), has lots of tattoos, and writes poetry. But, alas, he's no longer there. So, how's a girl supposed to find a harmless crush? I found him today.
It's Wall-E. Yeah, that little robot in the movie. I absolutely adore him. We took Drew and a couple of buddies (and Emma too) to see Wall-E today in celebration of his birthday, which isn't until next week (but everybody is out of town and this was the only day we could get more than one kid that was available!). And the movie was great. I won't offer an amateurish review here. Just know that I loved it and I think you will too.

After the movie, we headed to my mom's house for a little swimming and some ice cream cake.

Our thunderstorms this afternoon took forever to roll in. It rumbled and rumbled for the longest time and finally, just when you thought it was really going to let loose, it decided to just rain gently and rumble quietly and hang around for a while. An odd sort of storm for this time of year. So I sat on my porch steps with my knees sticking out, just past the protection of the eaves and let it rain on my toes and my skirt. And I just stayed there a long time.
And Chris noticed the hummingbirds. I've never seen them this late in the year before, but there they were - probably four of them - feasting in the lantana. I ran to get my camera, desperately hoping I could get a picture of one of them, which I did. None of them were great photos, because I don't know my camera very well yet and they move around awfully fast....but here's one nonetheless. Just so you know I was telling the truth:
A little disappointing, huh? It's hard to know if that isn't just a leaf. But I have multiple shots of him, so I'm pretty sure it's a hummingbird. And, really, in real life it's hard to know if they aren't just giant moths floating around your flowers. That's what we thought they were the first time we saw them.
Sweet little hummingbirds. They're good for whatever ails you - even if you're not quite sure what it is and you were hoping to find out by watching the rain for a little while and getting your toes wet. Not that that's what I was doing....

DAILY BLISS: well, hummingbirds of course!

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love hummingbirds. A crush on Wall-E is probably the most harmless I've ever heard of. We may have to try to take Owen to see that one.

claibornes corner said...

One of those little "Moments" in lie - when we were in AK a hummingbird got trapped in my open window and was trying to get out. I was afraid he would hurt himself so I reached up between the screen and window and caught him in my hand -it felt like a cotton ball! As I released the little bird to the sky I thought - wow I just held a hummingbird!!! Nice photo too!

Amy Button said...

I heard that Wall-E is a great movie and Chloe actually wants to take the whole family with her birthday money.

I saw my first ever hummingbird last year because he was very interested in my sunflowers. They-are-so-cool! I've planted lots of sunflowers in the hopes of seeing one again...they haven't bloomed yet so I'm crossing my fingers.

Joe said...

That's not a hummingbird, it's sphinx moth. Still really cool.

Christy said...

Yeah Joe - somebody else pointed that out too....I haven't printed a retraction just yet :)