Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Today

Today, I'm on my own. The hubby is out of town, which used to happen all the time, but doesn't anymore. So, I'll be all alone-ly until Saturday and if anybody wants to call me and keep me company, feel free (hint, hint).
My big excitement today? There was a really big spider in one of my boxes of paper at work. I reached in to grab a fistful of paper and we were equally alarmed at each other's presence, the spider and I. I tried to offer her a way out on a piece of paper, a free ride to the front door, but she was entirely too shaken to trust me, so she just scurried out of the box. I looked for her because I wanted to take a picture so you could see just how big this spider was (amazing, really) but she was quite gone. I crawled around on the floor of my office in my secretary dress and shoes with my camera and a big, retro flashlight that I found in a cabinet somewhere. She wasn't even under the sofa. I think it's funny that you can see me and my camera reflected in the flashlight...

I never did find her, but she left me singing, "Paper Box Spider" a la The Beatles. However, that's not one of my favorite Beatles songs, so I only know the title lyrics and could only sing Paper Box Spider over and over and wonder if there was really a song called "Paperback Writer," or if I had just made it up for the sole purpose of turning it into a song called "Paper Box Spider," until it nearly drove me mad and I looked it up.
That's what life's like in my head. It's really a shame.
That rain never appeared yesterday. It didn't today either. I tell you, the sky stomped its feet and rumbled about glumly and made so much noise but couldn't work up enough of a fit to squeeze out a single drop of rain on my yard. Pity. The wind was very nice though. I spent a good portion of my afternoon like this:

It is so dry that, even up high on my porch, the wind only managed to blow dust into my eyes. You may be able to see in that photo that my hair is shorter now. I might try to get a picture of it, but I can't seem to make it quite as cute as my wonderful hair guy did...I had to go out and buy some "product," and we'll see how that goes. I'm not exactly a "product" kind of girl. My mom was kind of a hippie and so there are lots of kinds of girls that I am not, because I was not raised to be such. Some of those are problematic, in particular the fact that I now, since taking the No Pants Summer pledge (that I made up), have to carefully consider my choice of underpinnings. We shall just say in a tidy and delicate manner that this is a new type of consideration for me. And we shall not discuss it further. Unless it is deemed absolutely necessary to do so, based on the comments that are sure to follow.

DAILY BLISS: a quiet, overcast sky and the night all to myself

6 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Well...

I certainly commiserate on your underpinning dilemma. Inspired by your ineffable "no pants summer," I've taken to scouring clearance racks for cute dresses and have been quite successful, I must say.

And so, though I've not taken the vow of pants abstinence... let's just say I'm trying to cut down.

Thus, I am now the proud owner of an underwire bra that sports clear straps and a clear back. Hmmmm... Also I have a couple of slip-ey type things that are quite interesting.

Kudos to you, Christy. You and your no pants summer. Kudos from makers of underpinnings everywhere. Not to mention stockholders in Bath & Body Works, AND Venus razors. No pants summer indeed has its price.

This comment is getting long. Perhaps I should have simply written my own blog about this.

Just one more thing... Upon reading the word "underpinnings" is anyone else unable to stop themselves from having flashbacks to some situation made right again by the use of your friend and mine, the little silver safety pin?

claibornes corner said...

"Underpinnings" - how quaint - I love my "Granny Panty's"!!!! You are so funny!

Christy said...

Beck, You just made me laugh harder than I have in at least a week. Safety pins, ho!
Anyway, that's pretty much how I've procured my dresses, too. I thought I'd be sewing and sewing and making this airy, light wardrobe of simple sundresses. Well, it hasn't happened yet. So, to satisfy my yearnings, I have been to Ross' clearance rack at least once a week :)
Pants abstinence! Ha!

Mary said...

Totally relate to the song title dilemma. My poor children will have no idea which tunes are real and which ones are just something mommy sang for fun.

Just the fact that you said underpinnings has me chuckling.

Amy Button said...

Underpinnings made me chuckle. I don't wear dresses or skirts very often for reasons like that.

We haven't gotten much rain here either- I hope it's not like that all summer.

60ish and Glad said...

Underpinnings remind me of being 26, newly married,having dinner with the pastor and family when my safety pin at the bottom of my pant zipper - popped and poke me - well - down there. I let out a little screetch and reach and well - it was too complicated to explain to him. He thought I was wierd anyway. I will not bother to explain how I managed to get down the hall to the bathroom to take the pen OUT of my - well - down there!