Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blackout Night: Balance

I was definitely unable to carry through with my plans of a no-cook supper. I had stuff to make bruschetta - tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic - and I was going to just use a loaf of untoasted bread. But I had a chicken in the fridge that had to be cooked or tossed, so roasted chicken and potatoes it was.
I enlisted the help of my favorite tiny chef. We put on our aprons, both of which were purchased this weekend at an antique shop. I just adore this one. It's my favorite vintage one yet and I suspect it'll be the next one to be worn in public.

Emma washed the potatoes for me while she hosted an imaginary cooking show, instructing her viewers about just how the potatoes should be scrubbed and cut. All the while, we were accompanied by the sweet sounds of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" on the euphonium (that's a fancy baritone), courtesy of my son.
The sun went down and we enjoyed our chicken in the dark. And then we flipped on the lights for just a few minutes-
to make ice cream sundaes!
We try to celebrate in some way when the kids bring home good report cards. Which is pretty much every time. Well, it is every time. So, we set up a delicious sundae bar (with the non-dairy stuff for me):

We ate our sundaes quietly, with all due reverence.

Then we sprawled out on the floor with my collection of Christmas books. They're mostly the Gooseberry Patch ones. My children searched and searched for the special something this year that they would make as a Christmas gift for all the grown-ups they love. Last year it was hot cocoa mix, this year....who knows? My new apron and I sat in my Mama Chair and took notes as they called out to me their wishes and hopes for Christmas presents this year.

Some of us wore big, giant lion slippers, too. Just to get comfy.

I would like to add that this is the first time in many months that my son was willing, nay, excited to have his picture taken. He even posed and sat very still.

Oh - and I learned a new trick with my camera. I'm trying to trudge through the manual and learn something new at least once a week.
Today's trick is called white balance. You know how candle-lit pictures are always orange? Well, mine are anyway. Because I don't know what I'm doing. That is evidenced by the awful blur here that I decided was acceptable enough. I was not going to fiddle with my tripod in the dark last night. No, I was not.

Well, I told my camera to adjust the white balance, and see how different it looks? It's still got kind of a greenish cast, but I think it looks a lot more natural anyway.


All in all, a satisfying balance. In my camera and in my home.

DAILY BLISS: magic shell ice cream topping and sprinkles, of course!

5 comments:

Amy Button said...

I *love* your apron! You have to tell me where that shop is and I'll try to visit it the next time I'm in town.

Kudos to you for reading the camera manual! I hate manuals and I'm trying to talk Travis into reading mine and telling me how to work the camera. He usually likes manuals but he won't do it for me
:(

claibornes corner said...

you are getting very very good with the camera! I may need some
"photos" of my art work!!!

Christy said...

Amy - we went two places - Second Hand Rose, which is out on Combee, just south of 92 (it's a dirty-but-cheaper-if-you-don't-mind-digging spot) and we went to Lloyd's of Lakeland (hee hee), which is downtown. Lloyd's is my favorite, but I think we got the aprons at Second Hand Rose this time. And, well, I'm reading that manual just a tiny bit at a time. I hate it too.

Nana - of COURSE I'll take photos for you - whatever you want :)

Liz Harrell said...

Mmmm... this looks like heaven. I'm in serious need of a black-out night. Or at the very least... a mental time out!

60ish and Glad said...

The apron was from Second-Hand Rose. And the candlelight is so inviting. I wish I used candles more.