Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just Some Stuff

Hm. I'm going to be staying up late tonight watching election coverage. Not that it makes a difference. It's like watching sports. It doesn't change the outcome to watch it or to root for one side, but you can't help doing it. I mean, I cast my vote, kids in tow, I got my free cup of Starbucks, before they decided to offer it to everybody anyway and now I plan to just sit back with some popcorn and a little decaf and watch the show. It should be interesting.

This has been a gray, chilly day here in central Florida. Oddly so. It never did rain, but it actually looked like a snow sky for most of the day - you know what I mean? A thick blanket of low-lying, deeply gray clouds.
So I made a pot of chili in my lovely red Dutch oven and I made a loaf of peasant bread. It's pretty simple as far as bread goes, and I'm sort of new to making yeast bread. It turned out better than the last one I made, and it was irresistible with melted butter. Salted butter. I always buy unsalted because I usually only use butter when I'm baking, but I bought salted butter for the bread because, well, yum.
And my dress today sort of was the whole wheat bread of dresses. That's what I thought about it all day when I looked at it with its tweedy brown, thick cotton fabric and its braided belt made of the same. Don't you think?

Speaking of food and fashion, I've been considering another experiment. Y'all know how much I love my aprons, and I've amassed a small collection of them, from new and stylish to vintage and hole-y to handmade and ruffly. I've been thinking about trying out a little public apron wearing. You know, just for fun. I mean the No Pants Summer was such a wild success; how's a girl to follow that up? I keep forgetting to start, but I think I'll choose a period of time and wear an apron out in public at least once a week. And I'll probably take pictures for you. Sound like fun? If you like my idea and you want to play my game too, please....do!

The afternoon noise in my house today was decidedly Christmas-infused. Andrew is playing Christmas songs on both of his instruments in practice for concerts later this year and there were Christmas commercials on between the headline news and the weather. I ventured into our local Wal Mart on Sunday and was greeted by a big, tall Christmas tree and the Halloween candy shelves were already red and green and filled with nasty "sausage" treats. And yeah, I did mean to put sausage in quotation marks, because I'm not sure if it really is sausage or not. Let's not even talk about the "cheese" in those packages.
Anyway, it's coming. Normally, this doesn't bother me. I am the first girl to sneak into the aisles when they begin to fill up with shiny baubles and glittery snowflakes. I like to just stand there and breathe in the Christmas. It makes me smile. But you know what? It stresses me out this year.
I don't like it, but it's true. When I saw that Christmas tree in Wal Mart, when Andrew started playing Jingle Bells on the baritone, when I saw that commercial on TV, panic started to bubble up in my belly. I'm not ready.Oh my. It's coming. I'm not ready.
But I'm going to be wearing an apron and high heels and take it all in as it heads my way. Hopefully with a smile.

DAILY BLISS: picking out the melody, in the the key of B flat, to sing Jingle Bells while my son played the bass line on his baritone - all at his request

5 comments:

Mary said...

Aprons in public. That will be interesting. I can't wait to see how you pull it off. I'm picturing my grandmother in her faithful aprons and how embarrassed she would be if she forgot to take one off before leaving the house. Of course hers were never more than utilitarian and yours are practical as well as adorable.

I feel that way every Christmas.

claibornes corner said...

You just make sure you have something on under the "apron" when you wear it in public!!! Ha Ha.....

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

LOL! Nana - Aprons? Yes. Skirts? No promises.

Mary - I bet I would have liked your grandma's aprons even more than I like my own. I think that's kind of my "thing" - finding beauty in the utilitarian things of life.

Amy Button said...

Aprons in public? I don't have the guts to do that but I can't wait to see what you come up with.

"Sausage" and "cheese", Ha! My dad loves that stuff.