Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting Nowhere

I didn't get a full Monday off today for reasons that you will find even more boring than I do, so I won't get into it.
I did have big plans, though, for this afternoon.
I spent a lot of my weekend "taking care" of myself and doing things "just for me" and all that garbage that we have to do when we can't seem to put one foot in front of the other anymore. I hate that I'm needy.
At the close of the weekend, I considered my to-do list. Much of it is to-do-before-Christmas and most of it is Christmas presents that I'm making for people. And I can't help it. I see cute things and I think of how perfect they would be for just this one special person and then I can't let go of the fantastic imagining of giving them a lovely, handmade bit of my thoughts for them.
But as I considered my list, I knew I couldn't do all of it. I've made a few cuts so far, but I really did some crossing-off and canceling-of-plans on Sunday. I even threw away a few sewing projects that I knew I was never going to finish.
I got out my little sale flier for the nearest fabric store and went into Plan B mode. And I woke this morning full of optimism, list in hand. And yes, I knew that my whole list was sooooo not getting crossed off today, but I still was pretty sure that most of it would.
But it really didn't happen.
I did get to the fabric store and bought some patterns - pajama pants for Drew, a Christmas dress for Emma (there will be at least one instance where she will need to be on stage)- and I bought fabric for those things and one other thing.

Goodness, it's going to be tough to discuss my gift-making here, since most people receiving gifts read this blog. Hm. There will be a dearth of details and photos, I'm sad to say.

At any rate, I decided to have lunch with my hubby since he was working locally and I was not at work. It was nice. I ate buckets of Chili's salsa.
And I came home to wash all that fabric, feeling confident I could at least whip out those pajama pants before I got the kids from school.

And my washer made a funny noise, and it smelled like it was on fire, and it was the second time this week that that happened. So, I had a washer full of soapy water and fabric. I guessed at that point that sewing was not happening.

So I picked up my knitting needles.
I promptly dropped stitches, had the needle fall out of a half-knit row, and broke my yarn when pulling it out of the skein.

So I got out a magazine.
That will not help me cross anything off my list, but some days you are just not going to get anywhere, and the sooner you realize it, the better.

DAILY BLISS: cute shoes with bows on the toes and the potential of new fabric and patterns - I feel a crafting binge coming on!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Oh how I hate days like that. May tomorrow redeem today and may your the washing machine issue be resolved without too much pain.

claibornes corner said...

Some days a "Magazine" is just the right medicine!

Liz Harrell said...

Magazines are my 'throw-up-my-hands-I'm-done-with-all-this-until-tomorrow" solution. I love them.

Amy Button said...

Doing stuff for you isn't garbage and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being needy. I plan on doing something for myself pretty soon as a matter of fact.

Christy said...

Amy, I feel like you were waving your pointed finger at me just then....and I completely deserved it :) Thanks! And enjoy your special something ASAP.