Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blackout Night (Lite)

First of all, thanks to Liz over at Mable's House for playing that little 7 weird things game. She posted her list today and my poor little blog has more hits than it knows what to do with. So, welcome visitors! Feel free to poke around my little corner of the blog world. I don't mind. Really. I kinda like it...

Most of you know that Wednesdays are my family's weekly Blackout Night. The idea being that we shut down electronic devices and turn off the lights, light some candles and have some quiet, together-y time. Sometimes we play board games, sometimes we go for a walk around the neighborhood and sometimes we barely have time to finish our energy-efficient supper before it's bed time for the kids.
Tonight was a pared-down version of Blackout Night (I'm sure you noticed, since I'm blogging about it and that's, technically, against the rules). The kids haven't been feeling great and have been picking and poking at each other and we've had a pretty crazy schedule, so we really needed a "normal" afternoon/evening where we got home from school and work at regular times and just did the dishes and stuff like that.
There were a lot of dishes to be done.
My hubby had to work a little late too. So, at the usual time, I still made everybody turn off their electronic time-wasters and we came into the living room and did some reading. Emma's really into a chapter book series called Capital Mysteries. We read a bit of one of those books, but Andrew wasn't too interested, so he turned to his favorite Calvin and Hobbes collection. That lasted for about an hour.
We decided, instead of a no-electricity supper, to celebrate National Men Make Dinner Day. That means take-out in plain English, even though the website says it's a no-no. So Chris clomped through the door at about 7:30 with supper and we turned off the lights and had a candle-lit feast around the coffee table. The regular table? Oh. It's piled up with Emma's most current art projects.
Even the shortened time we spent in the dark was refreshing. Everyone shared the details of their day and there was a comforting sense of calm and order to the routine of the evening. That's something we desperately need in this house right now.
Really, Blackout Night, stripped of games and fluff, is about connecting with each other and really focusing on the ones we love for a little while. And we did that.

DAILY BLISS: knitting progress - I still think people are going to get half-knitted items for Christmas, but maybe they'll be a little more done than I thought they'd be

2 comments:

Amy Button said...

I wish I knew about Men Make Dinner Day. Travis occasionally makes eggs, bacon and toast but that's pretty much it. Heck, I'd settle for takeout.

claibornes corner said...

I love the men "take-out" - I think that is what we are doing tonight - my body finally said you are doing nothing today!!!!