Monday, November 24, 2008

Opinions?

With all this Christmas making going on, I have decided to make something for myself too. I saw this pattern for a gorgeous robe while I was browsing and had to bring it home. I excitedly held it up with both hands, hiding my face behind its loveliness and showed Chris what I had procured, squealing, "Look what I'm going to make for me!" My husband looked down at me and patronizingly asked me if I had time to make it and I frankly told him, "no."

But look at it.
It's so pretty.
I really hope I can squeeze it in so I can wear it on Christmas morning!

My question is this: what fabric should I use? I definitely think it will be red. I've seen it made in velvet and I really like that. I've heard, though, that velvet is really tough to sew and, well, I'm a novice seamstress at best. I saw a beautiful red satin with tiny white polka dots and I love that too. But satin seems like it would also be really difficult to work with. Cotton just doesn't seem dressy enough, but I could be wrong.
So tell me, what do you think girls? Lurkers? Strangers? I'm open to suggestions.
I promise to share pictures if it gets made!

DAILY BLISS: I made a pumpkin pie with no eggs! Hooray! It will be a real Thanksgiving for me after all.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Real velvet is hard to sew. It's messy too because of all the little "hairs" (I don't know what the actual term is) that get cut and fall apart. However, there are fake velvets that are a little more stiff, have a little less pile and cost a lot less. You might ask at the fabric store what some of the options are in that area.

claibornes corner said...

Velvet is hard but there is a nice stretchy fabric that almost looks like velvet! Can't wait for these pictures.....

Liz Harrell said...

I have no idea about the fabric... but that pattern is so retro fabulous! You HAVE to show us a picture when you're finished. It will be beautiful!

Christy said...

Mary - that is just the kind of good-sense advice I was looking for :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure on the fabric, but I love the style. It's fabulous, and, yes, you'll have to let us see it after it's finished.