Monday, June 11, 2007

Conversations

Emma is officially in her "what if" stage. Andrew did this too. It's not that they never ask at a younger age or an older one, it's just that there seems to come a time when they are particularly fond of the question.
Andrew's stage was so completely different from hers. He asked broad questions about how his environment would change if something were different. I remember him asking once what would happen if all the oceans, rivers and lakes were made out of milk. I think I responded with how all the fish would be dead and it would smell terrible when the milk curdled. A particularly brilliant friend pointed out that I had missed it entirely. Cows would produce water. The fish would be just fine swimming in the milk. The whole family would go out for ice and we'd skate on ice cream in the winter. Water and milk would merely trade places. Of course!
Emma's questions are much more personal. And I've had so much fun with them now that I'm a bit more experienced with answering. Here are some samples of recent conversations (they mostly take place in the car):

Emma: What if I was a squirrel?
Me: I would come to the park every day with a brown paper bag full of peanuts. Then I would sit on a bench and hold them out, hoping you would eat out of my hand.
Emma: I would always sit next to you on the bench and eat your peanuts, Mom.

Emma: What if you found a basket of puppies at the front door?
Me: Well, I might be a little bit freaked out at first. Then we would try to find them all good homes.
Emma: No! I would be one of those puppies.
Me: How would I know which one you were?
Emma: I would be the one on the top that was the friendliest. I would crawl up and lick you in the face.
Me: Well, then, I guess you'd be the one I'd keep.

Emma: Mom, what if I was a baby cheetah?
Me: Well, I'd probably love to hold you at first, but the you'd grow up and I'd be afraid of you. You might eat me accidentally.
Emma: I would never eat you. I would know you were my mom and you could ride on my back while I went running.
Me: Okay....well....if you promise not to eat me....

Emma: What if candy was good for you?
Me: Then I would tell you, "No spinach for you, kiddo. You didn't finish your jelly beans."
Emma: Yuck!
Me: No. Spinach would, of course, be like candy, and you would always be asking me if we could buy some cauliflower while we were in line at the grocery store. BTW, thank you, Mark, for the logic (from the milk/water question) that also applied to this question! I just now realized it's actually the same type of question....sometimes I'm a little slow.

I love "what if." We grow out of that question, don't we? Grown-up what-ifs, though, are more treacherous. They can seem to betray people that we love or they make us feel discontent with our lives as they are. The childhood what-ifs are so much more fun. This is my last shot at this phase. I plan to fully enjoy it.

DAILY BLISS: Knitting - I'm not very good at it, and my practice-square-that-may-be-a-scarf-if-it-gets-longer has many, many flaws, dropped stitches and a mysterious five more loops than I started with (I'm sure there's an official term for the loops, but I really don't know it). But it's so much fun to learn something entirely new!

7 comments:

Amy Button said...

Hi Christy! It's Amy Button- Travis' wife and Shane and Angies Sister in Law. I'm not sure if you remember me but we went to college together. I saw your comments on Mary and Angie's blogs and thought I'd check yours out.

Anyway, your little story about Emma reminded me of a book called "I Love You Stinky Face". I'm not sure how old Emma is but my middle daughter Chloe is 6 and she loves it.

Christy said...

Of couse I remember you Amy! We have weird connections to each other in various places....weren't you in Rob and Chris' wedding? I'm not sure, but I think I remember that being the case. Anyway, I'm glad you stopped by :) I've lurked around your blog before (found you on Mary's) now and again and always enjoy seeing the photos you post.
I've heard of that book, but I've never read it before. I'm totally going to check it out now that it's been recommended!

Amy Button said...

Yes, I was. And weren't Robby and your Chris roommates in college? I also knew (your) Chris from freshman year English Comp. and we would talk from time to time. It's funny how our circles overlap without us actually knowing each other that well :)

Mary said...

Oh Good, there's another stage of questioning after the "Why?" stage. Ahh! I really feel like I've aged from answering questions at times. I'm not a very patient person, I'm realizing. "What if" sounds more interesting at least.

Christy said...

Yeah...they were roommates, but they were best buddies growing up in Evansville together too. Rob actually brought Chris to Southeastern - and to my mom's house for lunch. I guess I have him to thank!
Sigh. Unfortunately, the novelty of "what if" wears off too Mary. It's more interesting, but at some point you just find yourself saying, "I don't know. What if?" right through your clenched teeth!

Joe said...

I can identify with Emma: I am still in the "what if" phase.

Christy said...

Haha! I guess that's essentially what makes a scientist, isn't it?