Monday, June 18, 2007

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

The menfolk went fishin' yesterday with all their new poles from the Bass Pro shop (see Saturday's post...). All in all, it was a very manly Father's Day weekend for our family. As well it should be. There isn't a bad guy in the lot.
Today at work, I got to play around with more malfunctioning equipment. This time the fax machine died. So, I found an emergency back-up (honestly, there are more closets and cabinets with interesting things in them at this church than practically anywhere I've ever been) which actually looked to be nicer than the current model. But it's bigger than the first one. So, I had to, uh, make something up.
I took off my shoes, and lugged a big box of legal-sized paper across the room to use as a footstool. I can't find a stepladder or anything. I twisted up my hair and fastened it with a pencil. I usually have rubber bands in my purse for hair emergencies. Not today I didn't. I cleaned out a new spot and ran telephone wire all up and around doors and stuff - places I couldn't reach without my handy box of paper. I'm sure I was quite a sight. That box of paper/footstool was nearly more than I could lug around. I thought I was supposed to sit there and answer the phone and be cute in my little skirt and secretary cardigan.
I'm not complaining, though. I'm really quite happy. That is not the kind of work that you bring home with you and turn into a reason to yell at your kids. Which is exactly the kind of work I like.

DAILY BLISS: Knitting on my porch while the thunder rumbled and mumbled

4 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

So when you knit, do you sit down for long or short periods of time? I always think I never really have enough time for crocheting because I can't sit there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

Christy said...

Oh - I rarely have more than ten minutes. The porch knitting today? About four. Some smallish somebody came out the door to ask me a question and that's when I realized I was being bitten by mosquitoes and decided to come in. I have had to learn as a mommy to find bliss where I can. Really, the bliss comes in remembering it later in the day. I think I spent more "happy thought" time about the knitting than actual time on knitting. Plus, I'm such a novice at this. I'm not working on a project or anything, just practicing stitches. I find it pretty relaxing anyway.

Mary said...

As a receptionist (right after Kris and I married) I did so much more manual labor than the job description ever mentioned. It really made the job bearable to do those creative tasks and step out of the administrative role now and then.

I don't knit, but do crochet and keep a small project handy in my desk drawer by the computer so that when the boys are napping I can pick it up between tasks and relax with some hand work. I'm making bath mitts and wash cloths of late. Very fun little projects.

Christy said...

Very fun indeed! It appears that I have several friends that crochet. Perhaps I picked up the wrong sort of needles!