Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Pause

I had a funny moment today. I tend to really zone out when I'm focused on something. I re-entered my body, so to speak, this evening and found myself staring at somebody's blog. My playlist had wound its way down to some 90s rock and I was holding a white stuffed poodle with purple ears. It was wrapped in an orange bandanna. I'm pretty sure Emma had something to do with that part.
Speaking of Emma, I took her in to the pediatrician today. Understand, please, that we never go to the pediatrician. My kids are super-healthy. It's pretty much just the annual check-ups and when you are six, that leaves you rather inexperienced. It also leaves mommy pretty inexperienced at knowing when a little one is actually sick. So, the tiny princess has been coughing for about four weeks straight. I decided I should get it looked at (there hasn't been any fever). Turns out, she's got allergies to match her big brother's. So, today, I doubled my monthly expenditures for Zyrtec and Nasonex. Woo Hoo.
PAUSE
My wise husband-who-knows-me just came down the hall urgently telling me to go to the porch. I knocked over my chair and came running. Why? It had just started raining. Sweet, gentle, atmospheric relief. We haven't had much rain, and I'm just longing for it. My snow bushes are too. So, I just spent the last ten minutes sitting in the dark on my porch, watching sheets of rain parade past the lamp posts (in a historic district, you don't have street lights, you see) and watching the huge oak trees shimmy and shiver like textured blobs of jell-o. So worth the time!
I will be a work widow for the remainder of the week. I'm sending the Primary Breadwinner to Georgia. Well, his company is doing that. I'll be standing on the porch with a hankie, dabbing at the corners of my eyes. He should be home Sunday, though.
And in other un-related news, I made my first batch of lotion last night. Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaa (that's my evil scientist laugh)! Combining lots of wonderful things that you could never find in a grocery store and wearing a vintage apron, I have concocted something wonderful and surprisingly moisturizing! It's in the testing phase now. I have begun handing it out to my all-too-willing guinea pigs.
Oh, and here's a picture of my new haircut:


DAILY BLISS: trying out my own lotion, how the humidity makes my hair almost as curly as Emma's, and finally remembering to make the barbecue that I've neglected for three days now

4 comments:

Mary said...

Cute haircut. Yes, worth the drive. I'm jealous of your rain, I got drenched last night but it wasn't the peaceful sort and it certainly didn't last long enough to green up my yellowing front yard. I'm yet hopeful.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

The title is "Pause" and God bless your ability to do so.

Christy said...

I enjoyed your rain post, too, Mary! We needed the rain desperately. The weeds in my yard are perking up. I may have to perform CPR on each blade of grass, though.
Rebecca Jayne, I am changing the post's title to "Pause" as soon as I finish this comment. This is why you are my heart's deep friend. You know just what it wants to say when it doesn't know how to say it.

frabjouspoet said...

Two things...I LOVE the bangs and I have a surprise for you on my photo blog.