Friday, March 28, 2008

Chicks with Sticks

Tonight was our monthly knitting night. I've really come to look forward to this event! It's so fun to just have the girls over and blab and knit and laugh.
This time, our boys got out of the house a little early, which also meant girls-only afternoon and chick supper. Emma declared that a nice, crunchy salad was just the thing for girls to eat for supper. We had a blast browsing through the produce section at Publix and came up with our tasty dinner. Here's what we had, just in case you need some girl salad too:

Kiki and Emma's Girls Only Salad
Fresh Express SWeet Butter bagged salad
Fresh Blackberries
Goat's Milk Cheese
Sunflower Seeds
Olive Oil
Lemon Wedges
Salt
Pile the lettuce onto your plates. Preferably plates like this:

Place as many blackberries as you want in the lettuce beds. Break up a big hunk of goat cheese over the lettuce. Sprinkle liberally with sunflower seeds. Squeeze lemon wedges over salad and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt to taste.

We noticed that this seemed to go over especially nicely if you are wearing aprons and listening to some Celtic music, such as Emily Smith, who we decided we like very much.
I think Emma said that it all made her want to sink into her chair and dream about (well, I'll let her share her dreams with the public when she's ready). But, I agree with her.
I taught her how to use a melon baller and we served up a beautiful trio of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew with my magic fruit dip and some special tea and coffee to all of our friends. OH - and Emma was a guest blogger tonight over at Julianna's blog. Check her out - her story cracked me up. Considering all the original stuff this girl comes up with and could have chosen from, I was a little disappointed that she instead blogged an anecdote she heard in (I guess) chapel. Ah well. She still enjoyed herself and I expect she will be blogging on her own in no time!

DAILY BLISS: Fresh hair color and blackberries

3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh how I miss our sewing parties when I read this. Someday...maybe when I have kids who are potty trained we will do it again.

I can't wait for Emma to start blogging. I must know when she signs up!

frabjouspoet said...

Sweet Butter bagged lettuce is my absolute favorite. I think I could eat salad for the rest of my life with this lettuce.

Amy Button said...

The salad sounds wonderful. I don't think I could get my beautiful 6 year old to touch it though. It sounds like Emma has very refined taste :)

Yes, a sewing party would be nice but I guess we'll have to live vicariously through Christy and her group of girls.