Monday, March 17, 2008

Nesting

I would be remiss in not telling you that we had green scrambled eggs with toast this morning, and green milk to drink. And that's quite a feat, all things considered. The kids were really excited, but both of them got pinched as soon as they got out of the car because I neglected to adorn them with a green talisman. What can I say? We're Scottish.
But, on with the title.
There are nests all around our home and yard of late. The little nest I showed you that's in my laundry room? It now contains five tiny little eggs and a Mama that tucks her head way inside the nest when we switch the laundry. We are, needless to say, doing laundry very gingerly these days.
This past weekend, while I was working on the Mom Cardigan (only one more pocket to sew in and the button to add!!!), I witness a couple of birds building a little nest in our Spanish Bayonet. That's a pretty secure location. We call it the death plant, due to its spiky leaves. Avoid it at all cost, I tell you.
I'm even feeling the urge to feather my nest a bit. I always do in the spring. I'm ready to overhaul the whole thing and my mind is whirring and clicking and planning all the live-long day. But those things must reside solely in my imagination for the time being. We did put up some new towel hooks and a toilet paper holder, though. The bathroom almost feels finished (after nearly two years....).
Most significantly, though, this nesting phenomenon has revealed to us all that we own cockatiels of both the male and female variety. We discovered late last night that we were going to have to separate those two. Emma just could not understand why and I told her that they wanted to lay some eggs together. She was so excited and just couldn't understand why we wouldn't want such a blessed event to happen in our house. This morning, she asked me how I knew they were planning on laying eggs. "Was it because Smudge was standing on Hedwig?" she asked. Uh, pretty much....yes. I just thought that was the funniest way to put it. So, we had quite a fiasco trying to find an affordable cage option last night, after business hours. We have something that will work temporarily. Ugh. I sooooo did not need this added to our chaos!

DAILY BLISS: berryblossom tea from Starbucks

1 comment:

claibornes corner said...

Oh, a funny "Bird and Bee's" story!!!!!!!