Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Distracted

So, I think it's time to admit that I'm completely obsessed with sewing right now. Not that I've made a whole lot more stuff, I just find that my brain is trying to constantly figure out how to put together the next dress or skirt or whatever and I don't have time to make it before another one pops into my head. My head is currently full of dresses and skirts for myself and my daughter. And a few knitting projects, one of which I am down to the wire on (that'd be the rainy-day gray one I showed you a few posts back) and am terrified that I may run out of yarn.
The real problem there? It's clearance yarn. That I bought in Tampa.
Now, knitting is supposed to be a relaxing thing, right? Well, I'm up to about 285 stitches per row (hmmmmm.....mysterious shaping information, no?) and my heart is just pounding through every stitch, every row. I had to put it down this afternoon after just three rows. But, three rows is a lot when there are 285 stitches, isn't it?
You may wonder how I do it all. You know, cook, clean, work, parent and craft?
I don't.
That's the problem. When I obsess, and boy am I obsessing, all else is ignored. I am forcing myself to pray my fingers away from projects long enough to help with homework (mostly) and to put dinner on the table. I am seriously considering giving up sleep.
I'm sure I'll feel much better if I can just get some of this stuff out of my head and into existence. Maybe that would be worth the loss of sleep.
Of course, I'm not that crazy (all the time). I'll be a good girl and all, but that means I am living in this weird state of suspended anxiety. It's stretched out over a long period of time. Maybe it's not as intense as a short burst while waiting for a project to be completed in a normal amount of time, but it's growing tiresome.
Not to sound complainy. I'm wearing pigtails today. A broomstick skirt too (with a zipper waist, thank you - none of those silly elastic waistbands for my good-for-childbearing hips). I'm happy. I'm having fun.
I'm just a little, well.....distracted.
Which explains why I'm having trouble blogging.
I think of things all the time to tell you all. I've found some new music that I like and I took my kids' annual portraits at Lake Mirror last Friday. Oh - and the bird couple that have nested in our laundry room? They're Carolina Wrens. I'm excited to know this much about them.
She eyes us so trustingly when we switch the laundry. I just love her.

8 comments:

mindy said...

i can't wait to join you in your sewing obsession....but i guess that will have to wait until i actually purchase a sewing machine. :[ doesn't mean i can't look at cute fabrics and patterns, though....thanks for the links!

Amy Button said...

Ah, if only you could make your living crafting...maybe one day?

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Ooo grrrl, I feel it. I SO know just what you mean. The heartbeat, the suspended anxiety. My "craft" is different than yours but I feel that frustration of wishing I could give myself completely to the ideas, thoughts, words, speeches, activities that fill my brain and my dreams.

But alas, daily life and duties call.

Just thought you should know I'm with ya!

Mary said...

You described it well. I know too that antsy feeling. I hope that you enjoy every moment of your sewing obsession and when it is time to move on to something new or something old I hope that you find something useful to do with all those scraps.

I think every responsible adult deserves their own clone.

Oh...I'm sewing something for your pay it forward project. I hope to have it done before we come down there.

Christy said...

Amy - if only. Maybe someday...
Mary - I'm soooo excited!!! When are you coming? Pity I didn't plan ahead. You're getting something knitted, but I haven't started it yet. It's so much more fun to gift in person.

Mary said...

We will be in Lakeland April 7-10th. I haven't had time to try to nail down a schedule with Kris but soon we'll do that. I guess I should just e-mail you to see when you are available.

frabjouspoet said...

Hmm, if it's any consolation, my paper shredder fell over 2 weeks ago and is still there. I think about it whenever I find a new scrap that has migrated to the livingroom. Then an idea pops into my head.

Christy said...

Mary - just let me know when you know. I know how crazy it is when you guys are here and trying to see everybody!
Alli - consoling indeed. That sounds like me with thread right now. Actually, it's Chris that is picking up pieces of thread that are migrating.....I'm too busy creating something else by then.