Thursday, March 13, 2008

Just My Picnic and Me

There's a big orange grove behind the church where I work. I'm sure that I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Since the trees are blooming and it's one of my favorite smells in the world, I have been promising myself a picnic out there. I finally got around to it today. Only, there was a little be-hatted man driving a tractor through the trees, so I had to settle myself within the fences of the church grounds, but as close as I could get to the trees.

I brought a china plate and a hand-painted, stemmed glass and a lap quit. Also a new magazine and some knitting. All of it must be lovely and none of it may match. Them's the rules.
What do I like to eat on a picnic, you ask? Why, fresh goats' milk cheese, some pears and honey and whole-grain flatbread and a little salami, of course. And tonic water.

So, all was quiet, cool and breezy, even in the sun. Then a couple of girls from the GED class that meets on-campus came wandering my way during their lunch break. They probably thought I was really weird. But, you know, that's never mattered much to me - other people thinking I'm weird, I mean. I'm pretty much used to it.
The rest of my day? Eh. Let's just think about the picnic.

DAILY BLISS: red lipstick

2 comments:

claibornes corner said...

I would love a picnic right now!!! Looks wonderful for some "me" time....

frabjouspoet said...

I LOVE drinking water from stem glasses. It makes it seem so much more fun. I wish I was there for your picnic. We could have sat there in silence and knitted (or crocheted).