Monday, March 31, 2008

I've started a post so many times in my head over the last few days, but it never seems to go anywhere cohesive. So, how 'bout a round up of the random stuff?

1) I think I'm going to declare this a No Pants Summer.
No, silly! I mean an all-dress and skirt summer.
A friend reminded me of the movie Chocolat, which is one of my favorites (meaning I've seen it more than once, as I seldom do that), so I had to rent it. What do I love about it? Among other things, the costumes! I have been craving dresses anyway, but now I am pretty sure that I must make or buy dresses and circular skirts in various calicos and pretty cottons. I may even take to public apron-wearing.....but that would be a bold move indeed.
I wish I could get all the dresses that Anthropologie has out for the season. I am especially lusting after this one. But I sure can't afford it! We shall see what a seamstress I become with these dresses as my motivation.

2) New music! You know that JC Penny commercial? If you've seen it, you know. The song that's on it has been absolutely captivating me and I didn't want it to because it's a little on the country side, y'know? Not really my thing. But steel guitar always breaks my heart - in a good way. So, I gave in and Googled it. Guess what? It's Robert Plant and Alison Krauss! Of course I love it! Y'all know how I like to get the Led out. So, this odd pairing recorded together and I can't get enough of it. I have listened to it while shopping, cooking and generally feeling sundress-y all weekend. I'm not in love with all the tracks, but most of 'em....yeah.

3) Day 1 of Spring Break and the kids are already driving each other crazy. Ugh. The world would be so much nicer if I was the kind of mom who just let them play video games all day. But no. I just can't. So they are picking and picking. As much as I would like you to all think my children are perfect, I find that I must be honest. I fear that we will all melt down before the end of the week. Not that I get the week off. No. I must work. But my mom has them today and tomorrow, Chris has them Wednesday and Thursday and I am taking off Friday....we will have a long-overdue family day, which I am looking forward to. Hm. In light of the escalating conflict, maybe I'm not. Just now, I forced them to play a game of chess. I am not always Fun Mom.

4) Knitting. Did I tell you guys I finished my mom's sweater? I think I forgot. I don't have pictures either, but at this rate it'll be ten years before I get around to it, so I thought I'd better at least report the good news. Now, I'm powering through the last part of Pay It Forward object number one. I am quite bogged down now due to the enormous amount of stitches per row. Why, oh why must I always jump in over my head? I was feeling like it was just never going to be finished. But I believe I will start the edging tonight which means maybe a day or two more and I'll be done. Can't wait!!

5) New computer!! As if it wasn't enough that we added some memory to our desktop (which makes me unstoppable - Bwa-ha-ha-HAAAAA!), my mom won a new laptop at AACRAO (American Association of College Registrars and Officials, I think) and generously gifted me with her old one. I believe I am the last in all the family to be tied to the wall, and it feels very good to be wireless. Also, at that convention, the registrar at UMass let her know he'd like to talk Andrew out of MIT and into their school:) Just thought you all should know.

Um....I think that's about it. I'm sure there's more stuff floating around in my head that I wanted to tell you. I'm sure of it. Maybe it'll surface now that I've skimmed off the top.

DAILY BLISS: watering flowers with my galvanized watering can

3 comments:

Mary said...

That dress is darling! I love Alison Krauss. I must check this out more closely...Kris hates country but can stand her because of the quality of her voice.

I don't like hearing that your kids aren't perfect. Not that I thought they really were, but I was sort of hoping it was possible to get past the bickering by a certain age. DARN!

Christy said...

See? I hate country too. I felt better about this after I read a review that classified it as "roots music." I think that the country I don't like is really the country pop. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan, so it made sense that I was drawn to his voice in this song. But I have never really listened to Alison Krauss, though I do know that she has such an excellent reputation as a musician....so I respect that. And I found out that I do like her :)
And yeah - the bickering probably doesn't stop. Ever. I remember my brothers.....hoooo boy. I didn't think they'd both make it to adulthood!

claibornes corner said...

You sure are a busy lady! You will love the laptop! I'm going to try and send you a pattern I think you'll like.....