Friday, March 14, 2008

Rain and Mess and a Big Near-Miss

As I stated yesterday, I've been trying to focus on picnic moments to get me through a really hectic week. I have managed to come up just under deadline or a fraction late on everything that has happened this week. And some of it is because my head is very full and I am having trouble focusing. So, I take plenty of responsibility for that.
But today was the Family Fun Fair at school. The kids were really excited, but I couldn't remember what time slot I'd signed up for and didn't know which booths belonged to my kids' classes, so I stopped by the ticket booth to be curtly informed that the classes were not sponsoring individual booths this year and they didn't last year either. That's a lie. I've done this freakin' fair three years in a row now. I know how it works. Okay. Moving on.
So, we sized up the crowd, bought some tickets for games and I went back to the volunteer booth, having gathered my wits about me enough to inquire about what time I'd signed up for.
Recognizing me, she sighed exasperatedly and told me that there were not any time slots. Just a list of volunteers. Just like last year (that's a lie). And that I should just go and find a booth that has only one person in it, since they want two in every booth. Okay. I sent my kids on into the crowd to have fun (which is a little scary in itself, let me tell you) and found a booth.
Can you all see yet what the problem is with no time slots and finding a booth that is manned by only one person?
The problem is that once there are two people in a booth, there is no cue about when someone else should take over. Not only was I not relieved after the half-hour slot (which is how the sign-up sheets were broken down), no one came after one hour either. A little after that, I sent the other mom who was with me and had been there since 2:30 to ask for relief. She came back and told me we were put on a waiting list. What? You have GOT to be kidding me!
Anyway, to condense the story, I spent three hours in the rain this afternoon. I did bring the umbrella, but the mom next to me had just gotten a spray tan, so I offered it to her. You have to let those set for, like, six hours or something. Compassion for her? Eh.....I just hated to see all that money wasted. Just kidding. She's nice and I know her, so I lent her my umbrella.
Finally, we got home and the kids, who were soaked, got on some dry clothes, and I decided to take a bath. This is the kind of day when I love having a bath apothecary in my house. I just surveyed my shelf and thought, what do I want to bathe in today? Hmmmm.....a chunk of cocoa butter, a scoop of shea butter and some coconut oil. What fragrance....coffee? No. Buttercream frosting? No. Brambleberry? Oh, yes. With a drop of Creamy Coconut? That's the ticket!
And my troubles melted right alongside the cocoa butter, which takes the longest by the way. It's really more of a wax at room temperature. And I sat in my tub and thought about talking to all of you and how I would get my fluffy robe on and find my glasses and type it all out. And I started to walk out of the bathroom, happily smelling like a jelly-filled macaroon.
And caught myself.
Somehow, my distracted brain already thought it had told my hands to put on that robe. I nearly walked out of the bathroom in the altogether - right in front of my kids!
Oy.
Maybe I should just head on to bed now.

DAILY BLISS: handing out game prizes to my kids' friends and nearly clearing my desk at work

3 comments:

Mary said...

You make me laugh. And I love to laugh.

claibornes corner said...

sounds like those people need to get their s..... together!! The bath sounds nice!

Amy Button said...

OK, I'm laughing too. And it sounds like the lady running things has never won a Miss Congeniality award.

I love long baths...