Saturday, March 8, 2008

Happy Saturday

I am happy to report that the Curse of the Unfished Objects has lifted and things are now back to (relative) normal. I am still a little bit obsessed with the sewing stuff. I have now made another shirt, a skirt and a dress for Emma. With each one, I've learned a little something that makes the next thing better. With any luck and a little more practice, her summer wardrobe will pass from the homemade category into the handmade category. Until then, she feels beautiful because of cute fabrics and ruffles....and she doesn't know about crooked seams and wonky ruffles. So, that's good.
I found another victim of my curse, though. I picked up the cardigan to knit sometime on Thursday and noticed that the new skein I had joined in was not, in fact, the same red yarn. It was just different enough that I only noticed it in the daylight, after I had knit a good inch and a half (which is a lot, when we're talking about 136 stitches per row) in the wrong red. Ugh. But, I rip-rip-ripped it back to the join and picked up the stitches without incident. I am now on the very last bit of sleeve. Four and a half more inches to go, people! The end is in sight! Of course, we will ignore the fact that finishing up will need to be done to the tune of ends being woven in, an i-cord loop made for the giant button at the top, the pockets sewn in and an edge picked up and knitted around the neckline. And a couple of those are things I don't know how to do yet. But the curse is lifted, I should be fine.....
Oh. And the bubble bath as a complete bust. Not even foamy.
I got my hair done today. That's always just the thing. I had lost a lot of hair with all the weird health and diet changes I've been through over the last year and all the medicine I've taken and stopped taking. When I got my last haircut at Christmas, my hair guy said it wasn't very noticeable, but this time he noticed it. The good news there? It's stopped coming out and it's now growing back. But, I had him chop a lot of length off so that the bottom wasn't so thin and so that all the fuzzy new hairs sticking out of the top of my head would be less noticeable. So....

(nervously) Do you like it?

The other fun thing about hair day? It's also yarn day. Because the closest real yarn store is just a few blocks from the salon! Yay! What was going to be a yarn run for Mary's pay-if-forward object turned into one for Allison's object, due to an unforseen and wildly distracting clearance yarn bin. They had carefully baited the trap with precisely the yarn I had in mind. So...I can be flexible. And I can't wait to start on a new project!
Rounding out the day nicely was the blustery, chilly weather. This is so unexpected at this time of year and quite delightful. I am always happy to have a cardigan-worthy day, especially since I found a cute, hoodie cardigan on clearance for $6!! Woo Hoo!

DAILY BLISS: long, husband-y hugs and jasmine tea

3 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I LOVE the new hair. I'm really a short-hair girl at heart. It has so much more personality...or it takes more personality to pull it off. Yours looks fabulous!

claibornes corner said...

I do love the hair and you are getting thinner and thinner!!!!

Amy Button said...

Your hair is super cute- love it!

God bless you for making a cardigan for your mom. It is truly a labor of love and something I wouldn't even think of attempting. Kudos to you!