Monday, March 3, 2008

Instant Craftification (or: I can stop whenever I want)

Just one more. I already had the fabric. It was a super-easy one.
Somehow, between 5:00 and now, I managed to supervise homework, get dinner on the table, clean out Emma's shirt drawer, and make this:

I'll make it a little longer next time and give a little bit more room in the armpits, but all in all, it's not bad for a first shot. And I love it, and the recipient is very happy.

I still think I might add some pockets. I do love pockets, and little girls need places to put things. The pockets would be in that peachy polka-dot pattern.
On another note, though not entirely different, today is Monday and that means I got my all-to-myself hour again. And I went to my favorite spot by Lake Mirror. Here's my lap with the cardigan-in-progress and my gorgeous-o knitting bag, and also the view across the lake of my favorite mystery zone (I've always wanted to go exploring behind those gates):



And while all of this crafting has been going on, some wee little birds have been busy creating a nest in my laundry room. My laundry room is basically part of the carport with walls built around it. The walls don't go all the way to the ceiling in some places. So, the little birds fly in through the rafters (if they qualify as such, which I doubt) sometimes. This particular pair seems to have found a cozy spot between our utility box and some old jewel cases.


DAILY BLISS: coq au vin in the crock pot - genius! and the square of 85% cocoa chocolate I'm about to eat....can it qualify if it hasn't happened yet? I guess I make the rules here. So it does.

7 comments:

claibornes corner said...

A Darling Top!!!! And justask my mother - EVERYTHING has to have pockets!!! Can't you make it in XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXlarge???

Amy Button said...

What a lovely top- and model!

I have wanted to go behind the gates since I first saw them.

I love crock pot cooking! I've hardly used mine since I haven't been working but I'm dragging it out today to make shredded bbq pork.

Christy said...

Nana, you buy the fabric and we'll have a party.
Amy, a friend once promised me we could break in, just to say we've been back there. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a criminal record for it:) But I've been fascinated with that particular spot for years! It's rumored that they keep the city Christmas decorations in storage rooms down there and that it once had something to do with the Terrace Hotel, but I can't remember what.

frabjouspoet said...

I think there's also a rumor about something to do with a bomb shelter.

Amy Button said...

My parents told me that before they moved there (1972) it was filled with shops, etc. and that there was discussion about reopening it. I googled it and remember reading something to that effect but I can't find it now. I think shops are a more romantic thought than storing Christmas decorations- although they probably do store them there now. Where else would you put them?

Mary said...

I used to sew a lot in high school and made my own formals. I put pockets into my homecoming dress.

Christy said...

Formals with pockets! Brilliant!
And I'm loving all the speculation and rumors about the gated area by the lake! Rumors only increase the mystery, don't you think? Makes it so much more romantic.