Saturday, March 22, 2008

Rain, Incense and Calico

This afternoon is quite nice. I have had a bit of sewing success using a pattern. That's a first for me! I made myself an Easter dress. We shall see whether photos will be posted. I also made a little house-dress sundress. Both are from quilting cotton, so they're soft and have sweet, old-fashioned flowers on them. Never knew a dress could feel so much like I'm wearing the inside of me on the outside!
This has been a rainy day, which I love. But it's not the Florida kind of rain that rumbles and builds and then dumps buckets of water on you. This is a Yankee rain. The kind where it's just gray and drizzly all day long with no thunder, which is just my favorite.
Chris did some yard work and a little prep for planting my very own pink lemon tree, which is waiting patiently in its little bucket in the back yard.
Then we sat on the porch, I in my calico dress and Chris in his manly yardwork splendor, and we enjoyed this rain.
When procrastination was no longer an option, I came in and did the dishes. But I lit a stick of incense and opened the windows so that the rain would feel welcome and maybe stick around a bit longer.
Wish I could stretch this afternoon out for a couple more hours. We have Easter things to prepare and a birthday cake to bake for my Grandma. They're all fun things, but this is a do-nothing, sit-on-the-porch-in-your-calico-sundress afternoon. Sigh. Even fun responsibilities are responsibilities on a day like this. Ah well.
See you tomorrow, with pictures, I'm sure.

5 comments:

claibornes corner said...

ooh I want to see pics of the dresses! Love having my Mommy here to "Baby" me and my knee!

Mary said...

Yankee rain. Hmmm, I've never heard it called that but I totally love that label.

Calico is an unspoiled pleasure. It's fun to look at, fun to play with, fun to wrap up in and fun to wear. Practically perfect in every way.

60ish and Glad said...

You look so natural in yur calico dress. Perfectly you - better than wearing a T-shirt with a passionate slogan. Reminds me of sewing my first item (10- my lifetime number). It was an apron and it hung crooked because I did not sew it on the bias. I still don't know what that means. I got a C-.

Amy Button said...

A pink lemon tree? Seriously? I totally want one! I actually have a small lemon tree that I've grown from seed that has survived being inside during our TN winter. Next year it might be too big for me to move around though; I'm not sure what I was thinking.

I love the look of your sundress. It's beautiful. I haven't sewed anything yet but I swear I'm going to.

Christy said...

Seriously! A pink lemon tree. It's called "variegated pink lemon" and I got it at Lowe's. They had one at Hollis Gardens here a couple years ago and I've pined for one ever since!