Sunday, July 27, 2008

And We're Back

Life seems to be settling back in on us, which is a good thing. I still haven't managed to get a grocery list going, so we are still running to the grocery store every afternoon and scrambling to figure out dinner. But otherwise....routines are starting again and it feels mighty nice. My whole life was taken over with that trip for quite some time and before that, it was taken over with organizing this crazy summer that we've had. But now we have three weeks before school starts (really!? only three??) and absolutely no more camps. That should leave me time to prepare for the school year in a rather leisurely manner, right? Ha!
I have finished up a huge knitting thingy and it's waiting for blocking and I cast on the last gifty I'll be making before I start in on Christmas crafting. So....I'll be busy with that and I think that, three days before school starts, you'll hear from me as I'm running around like a mad woman wondering why I waited until that moment to start looking for uniform polo shirts and whatnot. That's just how I roll, yo.
I can't wait to show you all knitting pictures, but it will have to wait just a bit longer. I think it will be worth the wait.
Where was I? Oh yes. Routines. We had church this morning and a deep discussion about loss, which was so fulfilling. It was my morning to handle breakfast, which meant more of my weekend in the kitchen - not that I minded, but I do think my little baking binge is just about over. I don't have a dishwasher and the clean-up gets tiresome after a while. And we ran a few errands together, which is a nice change. And we watched a movie this afternoon with the kids and just sat around like sloths and it's been just what the doctor ordered. Oh! And I spent the rest of my birthday money. I ordered a couple of patterns to try with my alpaca yarn from my trip. So, if you feel like it and have a minute, click on 'em and tell me which one you like best. I cannot decide which one to make. The yarn is brown laceweight alpaca - a little fuzzy and extra-soft. I bought a shawl pattern called Obscuro , and I really like its name. It feels a little Harry Potter-ish, if you know what I mean. The other one is a stole called Honeybee and you all know how I feel about bees and honey. Also, it's really gorgeous and I think I'm leaning in its direction.
With the rest of my birthday money, I got these:

Aren't they absolutely the best? I have to confess that my friend Christina wore them to church this morning and the minute I saw them I was practically on the floor squealing right at them. I loved them that much. And she told me that she had just gotten them and they were on sale (!) for, like eleven dollars. And I had to, had to, had to go and get them right away! You know, sometimes cute shoes can really make you feel happy. At least, it works that way for me. And, do you know what a great friend she is? She didn't mind in the least that I was about to go and get the same pair of cute shoes that she has. Not at all. In fact, she even called me to offer her pair to me (we wear the same size) if I hadn't found one in my size because they didn't do for her what they did for me, you know? Well, if you're a Shoe Girl, you know. Seriously. She deserves a medal. Or maybe a cake. Cake is the best reward, probably.

DAILY BLISS: watching a mama squirrel sit on my fence, chomping away on a leaf

8 comments:

mindy said...

the honeybee pattern gets my vote! ....but i'm sure you knew that was the one i'd go for, anyway. ;]

and, yes, i can definitely relate to this shoe euphoria you speak of. i often find myself under its hypnotic power, much to joe's dismay....

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Oh, C. There is this magnificent, absolutely beautiful little shop near my house called Shoe Envy. You and I could do some damage in that place, honey.

Mary said...

Honeybee. Very pretty.

Liz Harrell said...

Those shoes are putting me in a trance. Seriously!

claibornes corner said...

Ooooh - the Honey Bee for sure. I love the shoes and I'll have to take photos of the 2 pair I got this weekend - loved them so much got them in black and purple at Shoe Time - buy one get one half off!!!!

60ish and Glad said...

Well, I guess it is catching because five days ago I bought 4 pari of shoes at Macy's - real bargains. AND to my delight three of them are comfortable enough to wear! (So I won't be passing those around begging for takers!)

Amy Button said...

Honeybee! I love the shoes. It is Christmas crafting time again, isn't it? Yikes!

knitspot anne said...

omg those ARE seriously cute shoes . . and i don't even wear shoes like that but i want them