Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Date

My brother, the older of the two, called me and asked if he and his wife could take our kids for an evening this week.
Um, yes.
Yes, you can.
We don't go out very often and I'm not entirely sure we've been out together since our anniversary - in December. Which is really sad. But this offer coincided with the new Batman movie being out and so we decided to make a break for it and partake in this summer's big event. And it wasn't disappointing. I am, however, fuh-reaked out. Pretty bad.
I'm kind of wussy about that sort of stuff. I like little indie films and I don't even mind subtitles. I like good stories and big laughs in my movies. And I went through an action movie phase in my mid-twenties, but I got over it. But Chris has really been wanting to see this one and my other brother and his wife gave it rave reviews last weekend. So we went to see it.
I sat in my seat, hardly breathing, throughout most of the film. I squeezed my eyes shut and clawed into my husband's forearms with my newly-trimmed fingernails and uncomfortably switched my crossed legs from left to right and back again. And in the end, it was so good and I was so relieved that it was over that I almost cried. And all Chris has been able to say since we left the theatre was that it took the franchise to a "whole new level." I think he means he really liked it too. He's a man of few words (which is good, because I have so many words).
Scary movie and weeks of nightmares aside, it was so nice to go out to dinner together and talk about our days and I even wore my cute new shoes.
Oh, and the kids had a lot of fun too. More fun than they ever have during an evening at home, to be sure!

DAILY BLISS: Chick-fil-a unsweet iced tea, a big one, just when I needed it most

7 comments:

claibornes corner said...

I don't think I would like the Bat Man movie either but glad you had a date night...

Liz Harrell said...

I know what you mean!!! The Joker seriously scared me... and action movies dont usually affect me that way. Now take me to Texas Chainsaw Massacre and you'll see a woman possessed and screaming to get out of the theatre. :)

Amy Button said...

Yeah, I quit watching the batman franchise when the penguin was played by Danny DeVito- seriously. Those movies are just too creepy- dark- sadistic for me. I really liked Mystery Men though- ever seen it. It's kind of spoof-ish for the whole super hero genre- very funny.

Yay for a night out with the DH! I know how it is to go for *months* without a decent date.

60ish and Glad said...

I am still trying to grasp your 300th blog!!

Allison Hache said...

Your raving review of the new Batman movie has me so glad I insisted on the oh-so-unbelievably-raunchy humor of Stepbrothers this week.

Mary said...

I do not like scary movies but I don't know if I can *not* see this one. Kris wants to see it and with all the rave reviews I'm totally curious. I just hope it's not something that keeps me up nights.

Christy said...

Glad to be of service, Alli!
And yeah - Mary, you hit it on the head. It wasn't that I *wanted* to see it....it just had to be done :)