Saturday, July 26, 2008

Camps and Craziness

My kids have been so busy this summer! I don't even have the space and time to blog it all. I'm going to try and hit the highlights that have come about recently. Nana asked how Emma was doing in art camp...she had lots of fun, of course. It wasn't as instructional as I'd hoped, but several hours a day with unlimited access to art supplies is never a bad thing as far as my girl is concerned. I was out of town during the last half, so I didn't have a chance to chat up any of the teachers and see what they had to say about her skills. But I guess I don't really need any confirmation! She's an artist through and through. Here is the pile of loot that she brought home: They did talk a little bit about perspective: My personal favorite is this underwater scene in pencil - I just love the squiggly undersea fellows: And here's a rendering of the Tooth Fairy, who visited Emma while Andrew and I were in Massachusetts: She spent this week in Camp Invention, to which she won a scholarship by submitting a creative timeline of the evolution of eating utensils. I know, right? Pretty cool stuff. It was a little - well, not what I had expected. But we had just come out of that super engineering camp with Andrew, so it would be hard to live up to. Here she is on Crazy Outfit Day. I knew they'd be taking apart small appliances and I thought the "inventing" part was creating something with the parts. But they didn't actually invent things that worked. Here is one of the inventions. I'm sure I can't remember right now what it does... At the same time, though, these are awfully young kids for that kind of stuff and she really had a lot of fun. This was a very creative endeavor. Her invention was this little "finger massager." And here is the poster that advertises her product. Just in case you can't read it, it says "Ahhh....Madam Muazel You must try this!" I kid you not! Madam Muazel! Ha! Ingenious. I will be the first to buy one once Andrew rigs it up to actually massage fingers! Speaking of Andrew, it should be known that he spent his weekday mornings in guitar camp this past week. He's taken piano for a few years now and, though he really has enjoyed it, I don't think it's his instrument. I realize that not every kid has an instrument that is naturally theirs, but in this family, we kinda do. And so the search has begun to find Andrew's musical voice. He's got a naturally great sense of pitch and a decent sense for rhythm. All that is to say that he really enjoyed learning a bit about the guitar. He even practiced without being asked, which says a lot. He already knows almost enough chords to play a little worship music with me. It was definitely a good start.


DAILY BLISS: another apricot tart :) and an excellent morning cup of coffee

6 comments:

Amy Button said...

Art camp sounds so cool! I wish that Chloe could go to something like that too- she loves art. It is so very cool that Drew is playing for worship with you.

I've never seen a full shot of your kitchen before and I have to say that it is absolutely adorable! My grandparents had a kitchen where the cabinets went to the ceiling too and I always thought it was so cool. The little girl in the kitchen is adorable too :)

Mary said...

Such amazing children. It's a good thing you only had two...any more and you could potentially take over the world.

Christy said...

Amy - I have to say that the kitchen is a big part of what sold me on the house in the first place. It really is so adorable! It's not as functional as I'd hoped, in the long run, and a re-do is in order sometime soon. I hope I can figure out a way to modernize without losing its charm, though....a dishwasher would be awfully nice.
Mary - you've made me blush a bit. Of course, I think that they're amazing, but hearing it from other people is wonderful :)

claibornes corner said...

The tooth fairy is my favorite! And can't wait to get a "massage" with the thingy!!!! Great work Emma!

mindy said...

i know i already told you at church today, but the "crazy outfit day" picture makes me smile every time....that little emma-lemma is just too cute!

p.s. thanks for my piece of apricot tart this morning....now i know what all the fuss is about. ;]

60ish and Glad said...

Well I just returned from Missouri and I missed the camp clsoings, the art excitement and the apricot tarts. That guitar does look good in Andrew's hadns...just don't scratch it! HMMM. (I actually release you from any guilt or concern for any scratch, mark or harm that comesits way.)