Sunday, July 20, 2008

Home

We made it. We got here.
Yesterday was interesting.
Friday night, I realized that Andrew's projects were way too big for me to get home in a suitcase and we'd need to ship them home. We called the UPS store and they were already closed and would not open in time for us to stop in before our flight home. So, the Post Office was our only option. They opened at 7:30 and we really needed to get out of town at 8:00. The big pink thing on the back of the car? That's the ranger station.

The crew there was so nice that I plan to send in a letter to their boss. And here's why:
There was not a box big enough to fit his "ranger station" so when I suggested that we needed to disassemble the projects to fit in a smaller box, and then we realized that the pieces were still too big, they suggested we keep the boxes flat and tape the ends shut. I understand that that may not make sense, but I hope it does. And here's my point - there were three employees boxing, taping, bubble wrapping and labeling and marveling at how calm I was, considering I was running on such a tight schedule. They were so wonderful that I couldn't say no to the special edition sheet of baseball stamps the woman offered to sell me. Three boxes (and more than $100) later, we were on our way out of town.
We got to the airport with time to spare and got to our gate faster than I expected because I did not realize that Manchester was such a small airport. We were feeling very confident until we noticed people lining up at the gate desk. I thought I'd better get in line too, considering the disastrous last few trips I've taken on airplanes (one of which was on my birthday last year) and sure enough, we had to spend the whole day in the little airport there.
So I bought Andrew his first real cup of Starbucks.

And we made it. Our connector was in Philly and I got into an, um, altercation with a jerk who was talking on his cell phone (after they said not to) and kept dropping loud f-bombs. He had ear buds on and I'd like to think he didn't know how loud he was. But that's just me being nice. So, I stood up and turned around and said something like, "Dude - you're surrounded by children! Could you ease up on the f-bombs?" To which he responded rudely and spent the rest of the flight pretending to almost swear and then loudly correcting himself. So I made some un-ladylike gestures through the back of the seat. Which I'm not proud of, but there you have it. But it'd been a really long day, even though I know that's not really a good excuse. It's not the actual swearing that I have the problem with, it's the manners and after being pushed enough, my manners flew out the window too. So there. But the guys that were stuck in the row with him enjoyed it thoroughly. I heard them say they were from Polk County and when they smiled at me for, um, gesturing, I said I was from there too. And they gave me shout-outs across the concourse after we de-planed. And I kind of liked that.
Anyhoo, tomorrow is my birthday and since Chris had to leave town today (yes I know - ships passing in the night, we are) we had my birthday party today. My whole family and my church (which are pretty much my family too) all had a special birthday brunch with us at my mom's house. I requested these little rhubarb hand pies I saw on the angry chicken blog because I have always loved rhubarb stuff and my sweet man made mimosas and served me coffee. Lovely!
I got some really cool presents because I love some really cool people but there was a really special one that made me cry a lot - and I mean ugly cry. It's my great grandma's (my mom's mom's mom) sewing table. And it's short and sweet and is still filled with the most wonderful vintage notions and little clues about her too. I'm the only great-grandbaby she ever held or knew. So, there is definitely a special connection there. It has beautiful detailing on the front:

And two drawers and a lift-up top full of thread

buttons

pins and needles and tiny crochet hooks

miles of bias tape

and even a hand-written crochet pattern for some unnamed project

I think that wraps up the whirlwind of days that have been this last week. And though we saw and did lots of interesting things, I am a country mouse. And this country mouse is glad to leave the city see the moon outside her window and to have room to breathe and grass between her toes, even if it is nasty old St. Augustine grass.

6 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Glad you all are home safe and had your party. Wish we could have been there. I never got to meet Grandma Carol but everything Kenny has told me about her she would be very very very proud of you!

Amy Button said...

Wow! What a whirlwind. Everything sounded perfectly wonderful (minus the return trip) and made me wish I were on a trip to someplace I'd never been before.

The sewing table is perfectly perfect :)

Mary said...

Glad you made it for your party. What an adventure. So many good things to think back on if you choose to, but so wonderfully out-romanced by being home.

I have my grandmother's treadle sewing machine. It too, was full of little nothings that mean so much.

Denise said...

What I was saying yesterday about your eloquence in writing...eh em...here it is...I just love how you write! Happy Birthday girly! I am blessed to be called your friend!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Happy Birthday, my wonderful friend. How I wish I were there celebrating with you!

60ish and Glad said...

Well, We all cried - even your Grandma! She and I have many memories around the sewing box. I recall her removing a splinter in my left hand while I held her little blue pin cushion (pin cleaning) mouse with my right hand and feeling sorry for the mouse with all the pins in it.