Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dress

This is the 4th of July dress that took too long. It's not blatant, but it has red flowers and blue vine-y things on it. I saw this fabric and knew it was for me right away. Soft cotton in a tiny floral print? Yes. Oh, yes.
A little bit of lace here, a velvet ribbon there, and a set of sleeves that had three different incarnations and finally landed as lace-trimmed flutter sleeves. I was still not sold on them, but Mindy assured me that they were really cute and I trust her. She's very stylish. Me? Not so much. I also knew that this had to be a dress with no zippers. And no special "underpinning" requirements. It must, must, must have gobs of fabric by the time you get down to the hem so that it swishes when you walk and whips around in the wind (but not too high - see the previous requirement). I begged my brother to snap a photo of it at the lake yesterday:

See why I fell for this fabric?

And that, ladies and germs, wraps up my frantic sewing. I find that I must slow it down and look at my children, for they are growing too quickly. And there will always be time for dresses later. And I now have lots of them. There may be a nightie in the next few weeks which is already made up in my head. Then? An Autumnal Equinox dress! But there is time to spare for that.

3 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Love love love that dress!

Amy Button said...

Very pretty! Great job.

Mary said...

Ooooh...that fabric is so sweet. It has dainty and fun and comfort all rolled into one lovely ruffle.