Thursday, July 10, 2008

Real Quick....

I'm about to be dashed away by my pre-determined itinerary. Drew and I leave for Boston on Saturday, and in a completely uncharacteristic style, I have avoided any sort of planning until right now. Well, I should say that I do procrastinate as often as I can, only with trips? I love the planning almost more than the actual travel. Researching things to do and how to get to them in the most efficient way is kind of a sick hobby of mine. I am struggling, though, with what to choose and when, as there is so much. Drew will be in engineering camp all day on Monday through Friday, leaving only Sunday for us to do some tourist-y things together. I absolutely insist that we go into Boston (because we're only staying near it, not actually in it) and acquaint ourselves with some history. My friend who lives there insists on Harvard Square and MIT as completely necessary stops. Among some other fun places. The rest of the week is no problem, but I'm not sure how I'll wake up at a decent time and get us from Manchester (where we fly in) to the apartment we're staying in and to the subway (or whatever it is) and to all of those places! Ah!
The rest of the week will be really fun for me, though. I'm going to knit and knit and knit and do some editing stuff I've been meaning to do for a friend and generally sit around and drink coffee and tea and visit museums. For a whole week!
So, I guess that Saturday and Sunday are stressin' me out, but the rest of it sounds absolutely fabulous.
On another note, you all are acquainted with our school issues and the choices we've made to keep our kids in private schools and the struggle I had this year about whether to put Andrew into a magnet school because we just can't afford the private school anymore. We prayed and prayed about what to do and he didn't get into the magnet school, so we decided that was that and registered him for another year where he's been.
Got a letter today.
Guess what?
His number's up at the magnet school. He got in. Which is absolutely shocking, considering how far down the waiting list he was and that, with the magnet elementary school he was waiting for, it took three years to get that far.
So, I think we're going to do it. It's going to be really tough for him to change schools, but this one has a lot of opportunity for him in science and technology that he just doesn't have where he is. So, that's stressin' me a little bit too. It's a huge decision to make and months of tears and prayers have gone into it and I trust that God has my boy's best interests in mind. So that's that.
Only, we have to let them know pretty much right away and I was unprepared to make a decision of this magnitude while pursuing the events of the upcoming weekend.
Yikes!
I'm freakin' out a little bit, peeps. But I'll be okay. I'm going to duck out of here for a few days and get things straight and get where I need to go and register my son for his first public school ever (yeeps!). And I'll try to check in once we've reached our destination. Really, I will. I'm sure that I'll have 70 bazillion pictures to show you, even by the end of the first day.

DAILY BLISS: a polka dotted shirt with tuxedo ruffles and an empire waist. what could be prettier?

4 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Well, sometimes it is good to be mindfully occupied when tearing decisions face you - then you can matter-of-factly make the decision and let the emotions come later.

Liz Harrell said...

I hope you have a divine vacation and lots of time to knit. Also, congrats on Andrew's magnet school opportunity, it sounds exciting.

Mary said...

That's a lot of stuff to make your brain busy. Hope you have a great week. Kris has been to Boston several times and may have a few suggestions as well.

Amy Button said...

Wow! There's so much stuff going on. I'm so happy for you guys that Andrew got in. I'm sure it will be rough at first but it's a great opportunity. Have fun in Boston! I'm just a wee bit- OK, more than a wee bit jealous. I've never been to Boston.