Monday, July 14, 2008

Trip to Massachusetts: Day One

So, I'm actually on day three, but I'm going to try and catch up. This will require installments.
Needless to say, I was nervous all morning leading up to our afternoon flights. Going somewhere I’ve never been? Check. Never traveled to an unknown destination before? Check. Recent experiences with airlines really bad? Also check. The last three times I have flown have been completely disastrous. Overnight stays and almost missing weddings and funerals disastrous. More-meal-vouchers-than-the-airport-TGI Fridays –server-had-ever-seen-at-once bad.
Unbelievably enough, though, we sailed right through airport security and got to our gate with plenty of time to spare. Our flights both left on time, even! We did sit next to a pretty weird chick on the plane, though. Drew got the window seat. This girl started off asking me to hold her embroidery while she put her stuff in the overhead compartment (she couldn’t use her seat to hold it?) and during the course of the flight, asked me about my bra and if I liked wearing the kind with the clear plastic straps at all, kept asking Andrew if she could play his DS every time he closed it, and even asked me if she could lay her head on my shoulder when she couldn’t get comfortable. I wasn’t sure if it would be more awkward to say no or to say yes, as we still had another hour and a half to go in the air. She declared it to be too bony anyway.
But we did enjoy meeting Chipper, a cockatiel who is a regular passenger on airplanes. He’s very good through all the flights but chirps and chirps as they get ready to land. He must get excited about it – that’s all his owners can figure.
We ate dinner at the worst Chick-fil-a ever, and that’s saying something, since my brother is a local almost-owner of one, and I wouldn't want to disparage this wonderful company. It has nothing to do with Chick-fil-a, I’m sure, and more to do with the Philadelphia Airport. Bleah.

I rented a car for the first time (it was a wonderful surprise when they handed me the keys to this)

and found my way out of a foreign (to me) airport for the first time and boy were we glad to hit our beds at the Hampton. We were also really glad that the car rental guy helped us to get out of the airport and go the right way, as my map would have been useless in helping me get out of the airport. We were exhausted and slept really hard for, well, not long enough. And that was only the beginning of scary, nearly-lost driving in the dark.

1 comment:

claibornes corner said...

Love the "stang" - check your first post - that's the one I wrote on....