Sunday, August 17, 2008

Almost There

Kids are in bed now and I think we're all set for starting school tomorrow. I really dug in today and filled out paperwork and wrote checks and filled backpacks and made schedules. It's all the kind of stuff that I don't like to do.
But I feel like we're in pretty good shape. Last year, I was so frantic and panicked. I think that had a lot to do with working, too, and still having trouble getting into that groove.
My level of comfort tonight was a little disconcerting - a little out of character for me. But looking back, I think I've let go of a lot over this past year. I don't know for sure if that's good or bad. Like, I didn't get Emma's hair washed tonight. I mean, it isn't too dirty, but I also haven't taken care of her toenails and fingernails in a while. So, last-year me would have been really stressin' about getting my kids 100% clean and gussied up in spankin' new uniforms. Did I mention that I ordered uniforms too late to get them in time for the start of school? Yeah. My half-dirty, not-quite-groomed princess will start school this year in an old uniform. But I still feel on top of things. Interesting development.
Andrew is taking all of the changes in stride and I'm so proud of him. A new school and the leap to middle school - all of that unknown stuff facing him is usually difficult for him (er, uh....and for me too). He was pretty bummed to switch schools and leave his pals behind, but he's done such a stellar job of finding things to be excited about in his new school. The older he gets, the more impressed I am with his character and maturity. He's such a great guy.
Oh - here's that cute apron I made for my indispensable Denise. She has kept my kids for the last two summers, as she's a teacher, and magnanimously says, "It's not like I'd be doing anything over the summer anyway." But this is a little teacher apron for her pencils and stuff, out of the "A is for Apron" book. I did not take enough pictures to get actual good ones. I apologize for the blur.

A little button-y detail...Emma had lots of fun picking buttons out of my button jar:

I think she likes it.

The book is so cute and just full of darling aprons and the patterns to make them. This one, actually, didn't require a pattern - just a little measuring and ironing. It was easy as pie.

DAILY BLISS: steel cut oats for breakfast with cranberries and brown sugar - yum :) and wind playing with my wind chimes while I knitted on that Honeybee Stole

4 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Cramberries... that just might be what I need.

Christy said...

Ha! I thought I fixed that one :)

Mary said...

How cute is that! Love the apron. Glad things are going well and that you're not overly stressed. I'm working on that...a lot.

Amy Button said...

That apron is too cute and absolutely perfect! I love it. I always say that I can't sew but I was recently gifted a newer and much better sewing machine so we'll see if that's the problem. If it turns out I can actually sew then I'm making one of these for myself. Did I mention that I *love* it?

I feel for Andrew. It's always tough to start a new school but from what you've said it seems like the perfect opportunity for him.