Friday, August 22, 2008

Makes My Heart Pitty-Pat

Emma and I were sharing the bathroom this morning in the rush of preparation for the day. I had some makeup in one hand and she was buckling her belt. And she turned to me and said...
Emma: Mom, I love you because you give me everything I need.
Me: Oh, honey. I love you too. And I love to give you what you need.
Emma: And I love you because you're my mom.
(pause)
And I love you because I love you.

Oh me.
Oh me, oh my.
Oh my goodness me.
If that doesn't set you right, I don't know what will.

I am pretty wiped out after this week. I have to admit that, with all the stress and emotional consequences of this week's events, when we got the news about the kids' teacher, who was very special to us, I actually broke out in hives. It was pretty bad.
But my deep-souled poet friend called and we gabbed for longer than we should have and we laughed and I felt so much better.
And then I had another, longer, later-into-the-night conversation with another friend. I was so tired that my body was actually shivering. I was a little worried about this symptom, but I just kept talking because it was so good. So good to find more comfort in your dearest ones than you could have hoped to find in some silly lace knitting. So good because, even though I'm going on, like, 3.5 hours of sleep today, I feel infinitely better. I'm really tired, but the hives are gone.
I still have a lot on my plate, and the pile is getting higher because I have ignored some things in an effort to take care of my kids and myself in other ways, but I'm taking one more night. And I won't even feel a little guilty about it.
I'm going to take a pirate bath. I know that sounds funny. Hear me out - I just love to pour a can of coconut milk into the bath water and a little rum extract for sweet smell. You should try it. Seriously. I've seen a recipe that added some pineapple juice too (it's a natural exfoliant), but I prefer just the super-moisturizing coconut milk and the beachy smell.
So anyway, a pirate bath and some chick flicks. And I'll probably pass out on the sofa. Yes. Indeed.
And I'll wake up tomorrow and see about those dishes and all that laundry and mowing.
Tomorrow.

DAILY BLISS: just-right cloudyrainywindy weather and standing out on the knee wall of my porch steps in the dark, arms open wide, taking in the breeze,

4 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I was tired to my bones all day today, but I so needed that conversation last night. It was totally worth the puffy eyes this morning.

60ish and Glad said...

I am so grateful for the friends and relationships that enrich your life. I see them on this blog all the time. It is a specdial blessing and worth hanging on to - no matter what!!

Amy Button said...

When I read pirate bath I thought you meant a Cuban bath. Which is what Trav calls just washing off with a washcloth instead of an actual shower- he's Cuban, he can call it that. A pirate bath sounds delightful although I think it would make me really want a pina colada :)

Christy said...

Oh Amy. That's really, really funny stuff.