Friday, August 1, 2008

Potential


I spent my birthday gift card at Hancock's today, thank-you-very-much-Mindy-and-Joe. I went in there intending to purchase fabric for an Autumnal Equinox dress (as it is frighteningly close and we will have our party, as always) and thinking I might have enough left over to get fabric for a nightie that's been designing itself in my head. And I left with everything but that fabric. I forgot my coupon for 40% off, you see.
But have no fear, fair people. They were having a sale anyway. Lots of 50% and 60% clearance goodies. So I bought gobs of that cream stuff with roses on it - potential nightie, no? Not what I had in mind, but it was about $2 a yard, and it's really sheer and lovely. But I also visited the drapery remnants pile. Ugh. I have read that it's a source for lovely, heavy and, well, drape-y fabric and that turned out to be woefully true. I think those drapes would rather be skirts anyway, don't you? And since I have that little Sew What! Skirts book, they will be skirts very, very soon. I think. It looks easy enough....
Couple the pile of fabric potential with the fact that I (I think) successfully cast on and started my Honeybee Stole last night, and you find that I am just itching for three or so days alone with my supplies. Just think of what I could do! Alas, as things stand, we are probably looking at things that will remain undone until after Christmas crafting is over, since they're all for me.
Oh, but I did order some yummy-sweet fabric for one Christmas gift. Things are rolling. And I've been thinking about putting together this little pattern for my nephew who I'm going to see in September - what do you guys think? I mean, it could be awfully cute with some little boy-ish fabric, but it probably won't get played with as much as something shiny and plastic. But he's not even one yet and he could sure chew on those little fabric rings. And, isn't it more fun to make something totally cute that Mommy loves anyway? And his Mommy reads this blog sometimes....I hope she doesn't mind the surprise being spoiled. And it's sooooo cute! Ohmygoodness. I have got to stop with the plans and potentialities. I am already over-committing myself and I can feel it.
But it's so fun.

DAILY BLISS: finally making it to the grocery store - the bliss being the relief that it's over

5 comments:

Mary said...

That little toy is sooooo cute. I'm sure your nephew would get a lot of good chewing done on that.

Can't wait to see the skirts, but it sounds like I'll have to.

claibornes corner said...

I like the toy too! Christmas stuff already - yikes - I don't have a clue what to do this year!!

60ish and Glad said...

How does a drapery skirt fall? I mean you cannot make a gathered skirt - are you looking at the old-fashioned high-wasited 'straight" skirt? Can't imagine a drapery skirrt could be comfortable...how about bringing vests back? Make a drapery vest! Hmmm. That doesn't sound very promising. I love the toy too. i think he is just the right age to love it...especially if the fabrics have different textures.

Kate said...

I love that you make your own clothes! I can get lost in a fabric store. Usually it's for some random project. Curtains. I've only used a dress pattern once (costumes for a production of Pirates of Penzance). I love fashion, so I imagine this would be great fun. It's on my "someday" list.

Have fun making your nightie!

Christy said...

Silly Mama. Drapery skirts fall just the same as regular ones, only they drape much more nicely.
And, Kate (hi!), making my own clothes isn't very impressive yet. Maybe with more practice it will be. But, I promise you, when your "someday" comes, it will be lots of fun.