Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dirt

We slept well into Waffle Saturday today. It was a mistake we made last week, sleeping until 8:30, rendering a large portion of the day unusable, once you factor in the homemade, whole-grain, egg-and-dairy-free waffles and coffee. I mean, of course the coffee is egg-free, but the waffles are too.
I know those waffles don't sound very fun at all, but I assure you that they are. Especially with real maple syrup. That counts for a lot.
So, we overslept again, even though we set an alarm to wake us up! The problem is that Chris and I always look at each other on a Friday night (usually while we're in the front seat of the car after running to the grocery store) with a certain, knowing twinkle dancing in our eyes and we whisper softly to each other, "so....do you wanna hit Blockbuster on the way home?" And truly, by the time the kids are in bed and asleep and we've put away all the groceries and picked up the....well, it's not exactly toys anymore....but the mess, I guess, of children in the house, it's usually pretty late. And then we settle in for a movie. And we go to bed at 1 or 2 AM, which is really bad news if you have to get up and make waffles at 7:00 or something, in order to leave plenty of time for yard work before it gets hot.
But I'm getting ahead of myself.
So, we overslept. And I had a lot that I wanted to do today (did you see that pile of fabric yesterday?). But, well, a girl kinda feels guilty sending her hubby out to sweat in the already-too-hot-because-we-slept-in yard while she happily crafts away with the air conditioning and the dirty dishes in the sink. So, I offered to help him out so we could get it done faster (a.k.a. set in on the knitting sooner).
I have a reputation for killing green stuff, so, he let me work on the weeding. And it's fun to put my hands in the dirt and let my fingers squiggle all around, making all those ants really angry.

But those children of mine. Oh, those children. They lounged around in their pajamas
and poked their heads out the back door asking about snacks until I couldn't take it anymore. I forced them into actual clothes and made them brush their teeth and - horror! - made them come outside. Granted, it was hot. But some of us handle it better

than others.

Even the puppers got in on the fun and sat up in the fort with the unfortunately sweaty book-readers.

And we did most of the back-to-school shopping this afternoon. Which really stinks. I hate spending money on new socks and underwear and things that are not actually appreciated. But a cupcake-themed lunch box was procured for the female child and she was rather pleased.
But the knitting? The sewing? Not today. Sadly. Maybe tomorrow. I do consider myself an optimist.

DAILY BLISS: unexpected cookout company of the last-minute-invite sort and pint-sized shoe joy (as in "Ooooh, Mommy! They're wedges AND they're peep-toes!)

1 comment:

Amy Button said...

If you can't oversleep on a Saturday, then when can you? We grown up people fill our days with the things we must do, so it's nice to toss all that aside and do a few simple things that we want to do. Good for you.