Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Deep Breath

OK. So. I didn't sleep like I should have last night. But I had completely uncensored, rated-girls-only, late-late-night, already-wallowing-around-in-bed-when-the-phone-rang chatting with my bestie Becky. That took the edge off those nasty Lonelies. I only have one more night to go before my honey's back, and I think I just might make it.
Today, I'm reveling in:
1) My son being recaptured by his Lego Mindstorms NXT. He has the expensive set and I think he got it a little too early or something. He built the one thing with it and put it aside. I did a little googling, came up with an NXT blog and another site with lots of projects and he hasn't put it down in two days. Here's to getting my mom's money's worth!
Also, I found out that he hasn't been doing much building and geeking because he got the notion at the wonderful summer camp that he wasn't very good at that stuff. Poor guy. He'd been keeping that awful secret for weeks. I reminded him that it was his first experience with building electronics and some of those kids likely had done it before. And that practice makes perfect. Then I pointed him to that blog. It seems to be sticking for now.

2) Inventing a treat in the kitchen with Emma. She wanted to make up a recipe so badly and knew that we had a leftover pie crust. She had elaborate plans for something that you can usually do with puff pastry - have you ever seen it wrapped around chocolate chips like a satchel and then baked? You have a little gift sack of melted chocolate when it's done. I had to talk her down to the level of what was available in the kitchen (it's sparse) and what pie crust could actually do (certainly not that!). We ended up with little ravioli-looking, jelly-filled (all-fruit, thank you. no corn syrup here) pie bites. They leaked a little bit....we'll see how they taste.

3) Oh man. That music I bought yesterday. Sooooo good. I heart the Avett Brothers. So far.

4) I'm really making progress on that stole. I promise pictures when I get my camera batters charged up.

5) My man. He has a hard time making decisions about anything. I asked him if I should plan a nice dinner for tomorrow when he got home or if he wanted to take us out to dinner (which is our usual deal when he's been gone). He hates being put on the spot. The gravity of a decision regarding tomorrow's dinner made him so uncomfortable that he could only sort of mumble that "itwouldbealrighttogooutIguess." This made me laugh really hard.

DAILY BLISS: Clean sheets on all the beds - I did it! Yay! The house will not be a wreck when hubby comes home and I even did the chore he likes to have done the most!

5 comments:

Amy Button said...

God bless Emma. It sounds like you have a pastry chef/designer/artist on your hands. It will be so interesting to see what path she ends up taking or if she takes all of them like you do.

And God bless Andrew because I swear I can't make more than a square from Legos.

One more day...yay for all of you! I hope you have a nice dinner out.

tess n natalie said...

well if those pie bite things turnd out good id like a recipe for it to try it myself and as far as andrew and his building i think all the legos or watever tehy are that he built tht farris wheel out of and things like that were awsome i really liked them and your lucky you knwo wen your hubby is coming home i have no clue and would like to knwo so i knwo wen i should get every little thing done and organised but ill just have to do it once and keep up on it i guess

Christy said...

Hey Tessa! I'll send you the recipe - it's really simple.
I don't know how you do it with Leon gone. I'm so glad to hear that your friend is rooming with you, though. You guys can really help each other out, I'm sure.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Grrrl, I needed that chat more than anyone can understand. And the pie bites? Oh I'd love to have one.

60ish and Glad said...

Go Drew robot-maker and electronic genius! He's a great kind of hands on guy. I can't wait for my husband to come home either... but he just left this morning. I need him to bring in the garbage cans...the end of the drive way looks so far away out the window!!