Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Right

Everything seems to have been put back in order - put back right, as we say here in the South. My porch furniture has come back out of my laundry room (we wouldn't have wanted it to become a projectile during the "storm"), my laundry has been put in the washer where it belongs and Andrew's class schedule has been put as it should be.
The guidance counselor had already heard from three teachers (I knew they'd be looking out for my boy) that he needed to be put elsewhere and she'd planned to take care of him today anyway. I called the school, but couldn't get in this morning (I actually had a deadline at work which pretty much never happens) so I sent my mom in to drop off his SAT scores. She sat down with the guidance counselor while she was there (go Mom!) and got him placed in Beginning Band and Technology as his electives. Everything we had hoped for! He will have to take PE next semester, which means Technology will have to go, but they have it offered as an after-school club from what I understand. So, it's all good. He will get to play with electronic stuff at school and he will get to play the baritone, which he has wanted to do since the 4th grade. I am so pleased.
And guess what?
I get to go to my first Band Parent meeting tomorrow night! I have waited for that for a long time. My parents were pretty serious band parents. I'd hoped I'd get a turn too.
Suffice it to say that Drew had a much happier face when I picked him up today. Still no buddies that he's connected with, but a much happier face. And that puts my heart at as much ease as is possible, all things considered.
In all of the excitement, I forgot to tell you that I made a skirt with my first Monday at Home. Remember the drapery fabric pile from a couple weeks ago (or whenever that was)? Here's one - it's a sweet little a-line and it was so simple. I kinda screwed up the waist facing, but I made up for it by trimming the hem with rickrack. Pictures are bad. Camera batteries are dying and I don't have a spare set right now.


Pretty cute, huh?
I made a big pot of coconut rice for supper tonight. Comfort food. Since I can't eat cheesy casseroles, we make do with this yummy little bowl of deliciousness. Have you ever had it? I got a recipe from the back of a bag of jasmine rice once. Jasmine rice is a weakness of mine. For years, we used brown rice, but my blood tests showed a slight allergic reaction to brown rice so, dangit, I had to switch back to white rice. You just cook the rice with a can of coconut milk (not the sweetened stuff for daiquiris - just plain coconut milk) and a tablespoon of sugar and enough water to round out what liquid you'd normally place in a batch of rice. I don't feel like finding the actual recipe right now. You get the idea anyway.
Sigh. We threw in some fat, sweet pea pods so that I could feel like I fed my children something worthwhile.
Comfort food and adjusted schedules. It's all good.
Also, I'd like to know how many Mom Points I lose if I sleep on the sofa tonight because my bed is full of laundry and I'm too tired to fold it.

DAILY BLISS: A happier middle schooler who couldn't wait to tell me Mr. Doddy's (his science teacher for those of you who don't already know Mr. Doddy) joke of the day

5 comments:

Mary said...

That's so good. It's painful to watch potential being underestimated or overlooked in your children.

My science teacher always told a joke of the day...that's so cool that he's in Mr. Doddy's class. Not that I know him, but I've heard such good things about him I feel that I do.

claibornes corner said...

So glad Andrew got the school thing worked out - just in the Grandma patrol!! Yeah.... Glad you're better and sometimes I sleep WITH the laundry on the bed and the puppies love to snuggle in it! Go for it girl...I'm still using KT's computer - I should have a cord by Friday for mine....

Amy Button said...

Yay, for Andrew! I'm so glad that things have worked out and how nice that you have a mom close by that can do those types of things for you.

Love that skirt! And the fabric is amazing.

Liz Harrell said...

I'm glad his class schedule got fixed! And the skirt is GREAT... love it. And Jasmine rice is fabulous, I'm a big fan as well.

60ish and Glad said...

I love the skirt - I might want one. I love that all is right with the world. Go night Christy girl.