Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just So You Know....

We're all just fine. When I went to bed last night, it looked like it'd be wise to put up the lawn furniture in case of tornadoes and strong winds, but by the time I woke up, Fay had taken enough of an easterly turn to take us almost completely out of her path. In fact, we hardly had any bad weather today at all. I tried taking a few screen shots of radar to share, but it didn't go anywhere and I gave up. The outer edge of the storm's circle just barely skimmed the area where we live - it seemed to rotate just outside of the Polk Parkway loop, for those of you who live or have lived here. It was odd to watch it on radar.
So, we had a nice storm day.
The clouds were so low and heavy, you almost felt like you had to duck when you walked outside. And the winds were absolutely delicious - such a treat for this girl who's been longing for fall, in fact! I don't think it even got over 80 degrees here today, which just never happens. So, it was cool(er) and drizzly out and the kids and I headed over to my parents' house just to hang out for the day. I found a fire log languishing behind some furniture in the den. It must have been left over from Christmas. And I would like to report that I spent my afternoon tucked in a recliner, sitting by a cozy fire in a cozy den knitting away on that Honeybee Stole. We ate our lunch outside and drank in the wind and the cloud-muffled noises and the kids even went swimming. It's not very often that it rains here without any lightning, so swimming in the rain is a real treat. In fact, Polk County has a reputation for being the Lightning Capital of the World. I don't really know if that's true, but it's our slogan.
Oh - and I did make another apricot tart and as a matter of fact, it did help to brighten my perspective on things in general. What can I say? I'm a simple girl. Give me sweets and I'll change the world!

DAILY BLISS: just relaxin'

2 comments:

Mary said...

Okay...tucked in a recliner by a cozy fire and swimming all in the same day. I think you have lived life fully today. Glad you shared it with us.

Amy Button said...

I love hurricane parties! Well, as long as I'm not the one getting hammered by the storm. But getting days off is always nice. We get snow days here but when I lived in Panama City we had a few hurricane days- loved it!