Sunday, August 3, 2008

Quickly, Quickly

Tried to finish up the back-to-school shopping today.
Bah!
Why, oh why, do stores get rid of all shorts in the middle of July? Don't they know it hardly even gets hot here until August? And schools, why must you dictate that denim shorts must be plain leg, not baggy, no hammer loops, no "stonewashed" (which means, what, no light colored denim at all? who knows!) when not a single store carries anything of the sort. Especially not in my son's size. By the fifth store or so, I was careening like a drunken sailor through the clearance racks in the women's departments. Shorts for Andrew? No. A skirt and three shirts I did not actually need? Um, yes. It's all a little hazy.
Honeybee Stole and I had our first fight this evening. I am currently ripping back rows and rows trying to find a stable and readable spot to pick it back up. Beginning to think it will require a fresh start.

DAILY BLISS: really heavy rain outside while I was knitting inside

PS
A cloudy and rainy day or two, coupled by a whiff of a nearby leaf burn have swiped my bones clean of all traces of summer. No Pants Summer is officially over. Also, I'm rather done with blue and white. I wore jeans today and am absolutely craving pumpkin orange and wine colored shirts. More on that tomorrow..... maybe

5 comments:

Amy Button said...

Yeah, that's the advantage to being on a balanced calendar school- they still actually have shorts in the stores. I don't envy the shopping week ahead of you.

I'm craving pumpkin orange and all things autumn-y too! It's my absolute favorite season and I can hardly wait. I went to the mall last week and Kirkland's was already putting out their fall decorations. I took a deep breath and smiled and instantly felt better. We'll start to get a taste of it next month- yay!

Liz Harrell said...

My kingdom for a cloudy day! I'm joking, kind of. 110 here today. Wilt.

Penny Sue said...

wow..still love Mich. summers...its august and fall is knocking on our doors. upper 60's and mid 70's...sunny and beutiful. Shorts?...what are those anywaz? ...:-)

Penny Sue said...

Christy...love your ideas on blackout monday..yes I adopted your mom's b-day week idea and the kids love it..(even the adult kids)
so tell me more about bOM. sounds like a good idea..and what book are you using for devotions..that sounds great..Caleb is too young now...but that would be great in the future.

Christy said...

Hey Penny - I hope you find this buried down here! Blackout Night is usually on Tuesdays, but it all depends on our schedule, really. We just try to take on night a week and "unplug." We turn off all the lights and light candles, play board games and eat a supper that doesn't require any cooking. It's a little something that I'm trying out to keep us connected as the kids get bigger and bigger.
Oh - and the devotionals are called Character Sketches. You have to look out for their take on the scriptures that are presented as story, though - I've read that sometimes the angle they take can be a little off. You know, as it is with anything, it's a good idea to look over it before you read it to your kids :)