Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Leaving the Station

I have been confronted with death a lot in this past week.
I know that sounds dramatic and deep, but it's true and it's been on my mind. So I think I'll work it out here, if that's OK with you. Why not?
There were two deaths this week in the church where I work. One older gentleman, he was 99 years old, and the other was the son of a parishioner. He was close to my age.
My mom called me this week and said she had some sad news. She said one of her neighbors down the street - an older man who, along with his wife, had buried his only son a couple of years ago - had passed away the night before and his widow had knocked on her door to tell her about it.
I started to wonder why, in the wake of losing her husband, she would so quickly be compelled to knock on my mom's door to share the sad news. They were neighbors, yes, but not particularly intimate friends. Why would she turn so immediately to someone she didn't know very well?
But my mom pointed out that this woman was now alone. She had lost her son and her husband and hadn't a soul left in the world.
And I started to wonder about who would take care of her needs. Who would bring her something to eat and share in her grief? Who would check on her every so often to make sure she was still, well, alive? Was she part of a church? Surely they would be helping her out at a time like this.
No, my mom said. She wasn't.
Contrasting this woman's situation, I came to work on Tuesday to see the parking lot full of cars and people carrying casseroles to the Fellowship Hall and flowers being delivered to the sanctuary. Family and friends, gathering in a central location, to care for the grieving and to comfort each other. The members of the church who are more removed from the pain - those who weren't as close to the family - take care of making coffee in those gigantic urns and attending to the tasks at hand. Someone had left a homemade cake on a beautiful jadeite cake stand with a sign on it that said, "for the luncheon." Someone else had taken out a beautiful cut-glass beverage dispenser and had it wiped down to get it ready for the tea. Probably sweet tea. It usually is.
It occurred to me that removing our family from the traditional church and to the outer fringes of my faith has been more than I bargained for. It's been an adventure and has caused us to re-think what we believe and to re-define the way we worship. And those things have been painful sometimes.
We love what we do and can't imagine any other way to "do" church. But once in a while, I'm reminded of just how far away we are from the center of Christian culture. And we're out here without a safety net. We don't have a Fellowship Hall or giant coffee urns. We don't have a sanctuary for setting up flowers. And we're the pastors.
Who will take care of those things for us when it's our turn?
I mean, I know that people die all the time who aren't part of a church community. I know there are social systems in place to help tie up the loose ends of a life. People who Know What To Do.
But still. It was a disconcerting moment to realize that I've walked away from the systems I've known and understood all my life.
When I left work yesterday, the parking lot was pretty much empty. People had gone on their way and the church kitchen had been cleaned up. A relative had come into the office to thank the pastor. And I watched the last person leave the building, carrying the luncheon garbage out to the back.
And I felt a lonely hole in my belly as I pulled out onto the street.
Not that I knew the man who had passed. I didn't.
But from all the way in my car, I could feel the finality. The end of the party.
One aspect of the church that I love is that it is central to all the events of life. The big ones, you know? Baby showers and baptisms, confirmations and first communions, weddings, holidays, funerals....
It's like the Grand Central Station of life. It gives us a physical place where our lives, all on different tracks, can meet.
In spite of my choice to leave her traditional structure - the one we've all come to know - I find that there are parts of her that I miss. And that's one of them.
Oh, I have a community of believers around me. People with whom I share my faith and raise my children and discuss the finer points of trying to live the way Jesus did. People I have come to know and love in a much deeper, fiercer way than I had thought possible when the only way I knew to share my faith was facing the front of the sanctuary next to others instead of facing each other and sharing our lives.
But I always try to bear in mind the fact that The Church has gotten a few things right.
And no matter how much I distance myself from her, I'm beginning to think that there are elements of The Church that I have taken with me - things that aren't defined by buildings. And those are the elements that, I think, that make The Church (at least, The Church as it was meant to be) available to everyone, everywhere.
And even though I don't have a building and giant coffee urns, I still feel like I should take my mom's neighbor a casserole and a homemade cake on a jadeite cake stand.

10 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Take the casserole. And the cake. Casseroles and cake are two of Jesus' very own ideas. Two of the few that the church has listened to. Also pimento cheese sandwiches fall into that category.

And for the record...

When it happens to you, I will bring food, I will cry, I will make coffee in non-urns or take you to Starbucks, or get a tattoo with you just like you did with me. Who knew we were havin' church?

claibornes corner said...

Our church is our beliefs and the people around us - God Bless You Christy - you are so sweet...and pretty....and funny....and pretty deep sometimes!!! I Love You

Amy Button said...

So you've left our current church model but you haven't left the fellowship and living out life that church is supposed to be. And you're being the hands and feet of Christ in showing love to a lady that now has nothing. A casserole and cake are definitely in order. I agree with Becky, those are his ideas.

lubke-moss said...

But you have already discovered the true intent of The Church. It's got nothing to do with the building or the coffee pots. It's the people, the body of Christ, serving God by serving others. You are WAY ahead of the game, Christy. :)
I agree. Take that lady some home-cooked lovin'.

60ish and Glad said...

Good for you my sweet for taking time to ponder the deep. Let's bring her TO the casserole and cake. How about next family event? How about making HER our family event. Let's cook out on a Sunday when Joe gets home.

Maybe even invite my young debating pastor that I am adopting!

Christy said...

Mom - since I found out she doesn't have any immediate needs, that seems like a wonderful course of action. Just don't let YDP too close to her, k?
Beck, positively tears again. You know how to cut to the quick of me with so few words.
And thanks Nana, Amy and Candace for your sweet words. They mean so much to me!

Liz Harrell said...

My husband and I left the church we were raised in for a nondenominational one. Leaving what we know, embracing new ways of doing things and the unknown is always scary.

Christy said...

Very true, Liz! We left non-denominational churches and planted a house church. It's been 5 or 6 years now, but there are endless surprises on the journey - still!

Mary said...

I love the church. I love the family it provides when I moved away from all my dear cousins, aunts and uncles. I love sitting in a room full of people I barely know and crying with them because the same God loves us so much. I love sitting in Sunday school with the people I'm growing more and more attached to and hearing their prayers and their praises and their "God bragging." And I love learning...and church is my favorite place to grasp onto something that I've never thought of before.

I love funerals too. I love crowds of people laughing about something my grandma said before she died. I love hymns being voiced about heaven and a home I can't wait to get to. I love the food. I love the anonymous gifts and the cakes left on the doorstep before anyone was up to say thank you.

I hate what some folks have done to the image and the usefulness of church. I hate that you can't count on every congregation to want the Truth. I hate that there are people so hurt and so disillusioned by "the church" that they may never see what grace has purchased for them.

I love that the real church is bigger than a building (though I love church buildings too) and smaller than a crowd. I love that you can do something as simple as take your mom's neighbor a casserole and preach a sermon she'll never forget.

Penny Sue said...

You go Christy.

I must go to a unique church. Because my church is nothing like what you are discribing.

We have 100 members and give out over 700 food baskets EVERY WEEK.
We have a "gift shop" that is just that we take donated items and display them for those in need to take what they need. It's beautiful.
we have a homeless training..etc..

not bad for a small church..and I don't know if we have a coffee urn?..lol..well maybe a small one.

love you guys
Penny