Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Makings of a Band Geek

I forgot to mention that Andrew came home from school and said they'd held fifth grade band try-outs yesterday! We've talked about him being in the band and talked about what instrument he'd want to play and all that. I was the ultimate band geek when I was in school, and I had high hopes that my kids would be too.
I guess they all got to try different instruments and were assigned to theirs based on early ability:)
Mr. Cheatwood, you will love this. My boy will be playing the baritone! He is really proud of himself, too.
I told him that I always thought brass players were the best kissers. I got a fantastic eye-roll and verbal protestation out of that one! The best part about being a parent is embarrassing your kids.

<3 Christy

5 comments:

Joe said...

Certainly not flautists. Too much pursing.

Great for him! I hope he'll enjoy it like I always did. Band geeks are the best company.

I started on trumpet, actually, but my lips felt too big. I moved to baritone (snooty people say "euphonium") in 8th grade, and tube in 10th. I played tuba through college (I accompanied Tim at his senior recital - we did a tuba sax duet!), and it helped pay my way through. I haven't touched one since 1998, though, and I do miss it sometimes. I now play bluegrass mandolin, instead. Seems like a natural transition, right? The hardest part was making the mouthpiece fit.

frabjouspoet said...

Well, I was just a music geek. Violin from 5th to 10th grade, chorus in 10th and 11th grade, and piano lessons for a few years.

Hmm...I can't say that I've ever kissed any band geek, so I have no comment on their abilities. :)

Christy said...

Hmm. He wanted to play the tuba (my dad did that in high school, too). I suspect he's just not tall enough yet. BTW, I am really enjoying the mental picture of Tim and Joe's duet. I will giggle about that for days to come!
I have only kept up with my piano - and that only slightly. I have gone back and forth on the whole music thing as an adult. I love it - but I just don't have the time to make it a priority. That means I can't be the best. And that means I don't even want to try. Ha! You've got it made, Ali. Chorus geeks can still sing anywhere they want and whenever they want. Bassoon geeks have a hard time being accepted in public places.

frabjouspoet said...

But adult bassoon geeks will always get more of an audience in public places! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.