Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ponder This, If You Will

So, I'm sure you guys have all seen the clever little stickers you can put on your crappy car that look like bullet holes. There also are little baseballs and footballs that look like they crashed through your windshield. Not something I'd do, but here in Polk County, they are abundant.
I saw a new one today. This new take on the trend really bothers me on several levels. It's a fish. Sticking halfway out of your back window, having cracked the glass. Facing out.
First of all, aren't fish slimy and floppy? How would a fish manage to break the glass? I would imagine that he would make a dull thud and slide toward the bumper, leaving a trail of slime instead of breaking through anything. A soccer ball? Eh, maybe it could break the glass....but a fish?
But secondly, it's disturbing to think of how a fish would get through the glass with his face sticking out the back. Was he in an open cooler in the back seat when he decided to make a break for it? This is disturbing enough, if not the most probable cause of his final resting position. The only other thing I can think of is much worse. Perhaps he was just enjoying the morning and jumping around his little lake with glee, when this dirty SUV backed into him at high speed! So fast, in fact, that it skimmed the surface of the water, straight out to the middle of the lake where he was, and surprised him mid-jump.
Poor guy.
Alas, even in my tireless optimism, I can't imagine that people who put bullet-hole stickers or any other 3D, half-out-of-the-glass stickers on their cars really think these things through.

DAILY BLISS: My friend graduated from college today - I'm so proud of her! - taking the kids to the Starbucks at the bookstore, and making lotion.

<3 Christy

2 comments:

Joe said...

Perhaps it wasn't a sticker and Polk County fish are finally launching their attack! If I were you, I would check the back seat carefully for disgruntled bass and crappies before getting in the car. You can't be too careful when dealing with peeved osteichthyans, or so they say.

Christy said...

Having considered your comment, I'm now designing a tee shirt that lets them know I'm on their side. Just in case. I plan to wear it every time I leave the house. And, I'm sending the male child into the car first to check for disgruntled fish :)