Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wacky Weather

Yesterday's rain was so lovely. Today, then, turned out to be a sunny and overly warm day. Very few clouds in the sky. I went about my business, shlepping kids to and fro, had dinner at my mom's and came home. I put the kids to bed and cleaned up around the house. Pretty typical (and you wonder why it's so hard for me to come up with exciting stories every day! Ha! My life is quite mundane.). I switched some laundry and when I stepped outside, I noticed that the atmosphere felt "unstable." I know this sounds like I'm some kind of fraudulent weather divination expert, but I really do have some kind of weird sense about weather. Then I shook my head and thought to myself that the rain was yesterday and my little Weather Sense was off tonight.
I was minding my own business, having some tea in a beautiful rose chintz cup with matching tea pot, when my mom called me. "Grab the kids and come over here!" she suggested, nervously. There were apparently tornadoes a little bit north of me. I had not even known it was raining. I guess my senses weren't so off after all. Just as she called, the rain started to pour.
Well, I am all by myself with no Big Male Protector in the house this week. Normally I am secure and self-sufficient and like to make people think I'm sort of tough. But I like to be able to pull out the Female In Distress card when I want to. No such luck tonight. By this time, it was just too stormy to bother getting the already-sleeping kids in the car. So, I found a big, heavy flashlight (my dad makes sure there are plenty of Mag Lites in all of his children's houses) and cleared out a spot on the hall closet floor, just in case. There is no good place in my house to hide out in the event of bad weather. I even plugged in my celebrity meteorologist-approved weather radio. The lights flickered a bit and the wind chimes on my porch sang an alarmed sort of song that I could hear from my perch on the sofa.
But here I am. The storm has passed. Nothing terrible happened. And that's good. But I am feeling very prepared with no outlet on which to unleash my preparation. Too bad. I look pretty cute in pajamas and pigtails, wielding a china tea cup in one hand and a hefty Mag Lite in the other.
I guess I'll just go to bed.

DAILY BLISS: Hanging out with my brothers and playing cute Ferry Halim games on my computer. It's a waste of free time, I guess, but they're just so cute.

<3 Christy

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Christy, saw your comment on Angie's blog and thought I'd check and see what's going on with you. I enjoyed catching up a bit. Glad you survived the storm without breaking any tea cups.

Joe said...

I miss big Florida tunderstorms. Thunderstorms here are very wimpy. Tornadoes are a concern here, though, as you know. Towns and hospitals and many other places use tornado sirens to warn people of impending weather. I'm sure you know this, but it was surprising to me. They test them frequently, and I'm never sure whether to believe them or not.

Christy said...

Yeah - I remember the sirens! We had siren drills all summer long when I was a kid in Minneapolis. I remember hiding in the cubby spaces under the stairs during tornadoes - at least where I lived, they actually worked in the event of a real tornado :) I've heard the argument that we really ought to have a system here...seems to me we should.
I'm glad you found me Mary! I check out your blog once in a while, but I can never think of clever comments to leave :)

Mary said...

You don't have to be clever. You may find that just by leaving a comment you are accidentally clever and that may lead to more comments. You can certainly count on me to encourage your comments, whether they are clever (accidentally or on purpose) or not.

frabjouspoet said...

I woke up Thursday morning with my husband talking about how the storm was so violent our bedroom walls were shaking. I squinted and said, "It rained last night?" Guess that was some much needed rest for me. I tend to wake up at the sound of an ant crawling across the floor. :)