Friday, June 5, 2009

Almost

I'm almost ready to jump back into life here.
Last night, my parents took the kids overnight, so Chris & I decided not to waste a date-night opportunity. We decided to go to the movies and see both the Star Trek one and the Wolverine one!
I was talking to my sister-in-law on the phone, telling her what we were up to and she laughed at me. She said that after a four-day reading excursion and a double-feature of testosterone-y movies, I'd be a little overstimulated. And I think she was right. Man! Lots of fighting action going on and things blowing up and weapons and boys standing around in groups with their feet planted wide apart.
What?
I'm not wrong on that one.

We swapped kids this evening with a family we know - we have the girls and they have the boys - for a sleepover to kick off the summer. There is cheese popcorn, pizza and ice cream at our house and that doesn't often happen all at once. The girls have been flitting about in the garden and are now sitting on the edge of my clawfoot tub, soaking their dirty feet. They're so much fun. When we have boys over, the Wii comes out, along with whatever game systems are toted in from our guests' homes, and they don't move from the TV for, well, however many hours they're here. The girls don't so much do that. There has already been dressing up and there will be art projects and certainly lots of pretending.
I will go to bed at a decent hour tonight. Tomorrow, I get to hang out at the beach all day with a friend and I know that I probably need it even more than she does. I can't wait!
Normally, as the school year closes, I show you a picture of the kids from the last day of school that I compare to the one I took at the beginning of the school year. I get a little misty-eyed and express my melancholy feelings about the passing of time. But I don't think I will this time. This time, we will take it in stride. I am much too tired for introspection.

4 comments:

yakobus said...

Ahhh... memories of boy-youth... of course ours was only in 8-bits and VHS

Mary said...

Introspection can be very tiring. Fun, but tiring.

I am holding out as long as is possible to keep the wii or any such devices from entering our house.

claibornes corner said...

Enjoy your day at the beach!! Wish I were there...

60ish and Glad said...

And when you told me you were busy, I thought you meant working hard on som project, cleaning or motherhood obligations..lbut novels! Hummph!

I hope you indeed enjoyed the beach.