Sunday, June 7, 2009

Beachy

I met my friend at the beach yesterday. She's had a just had a major life change and I really needed to get away, so the timing was just right. I got up early (for a Saturday) and made my way to Siesta Key, singing in the car and feeling like I was really escaping. But by the time I got there, it was raining.


We didn't have to wait long for it to clear up, though, and the sand takes on such interesting texture after it rains, so that was nice.


Conversations rolled past us like the off-shore showers, interspersed with lots of quiet and good music. And the sun finally popped up, so we popped up her beach umbrella.


Two pale-as-vampires girls need all the protection from the UV rays that we can get!


Lots of aerosol sunscreen was sprayed, homemade salsa, blueberries and crunchy grapes were eaten, deep thoughts were shared, shallow thoughts abounded and the day passed. I even got into the water, which I never do. But that might be because I haven't owned a swimsuit in a very long time. The waves were really rough, for the Gulf anyway. It was almost as good as being on the other coast! We took a long walk and found fistfulls of perfect shells and two unblemished sand dollars.
Then the sun went down. It took its sweet time getting there, but we didn't so much mind.

There was a little more rain as the sun set, but not enough to make us leave before we were ready.


When we did finally get out of our chairs, we slung our bags over our shoulders and grabbed our shoes, and turned around. Then we gasped as we caught sight of a perfect, glowing moon that had snuck up behind us. I scrambled to get my camera out of the bag, but a photo just wasn't meant to be - by the time I found my camera, the clouds had rolled over and hidden it.
I am more refreshed than I had expected to be after just one day to myself. But being in the presence of a kindred heart probably has that effect.
And I'm only the weensiest sunburned in a few places.

Daily Bliss: tomatoes from my pitiful garden for lunch

Wake-up Playlist: I was sleeping so hard this morning that I don't even remember waking up, much less if there was a song I was singing!

8 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Awesome shadow photo with the bird. I want to share it at work with our photographer teacher. Your day sounds so filling - like a good hot glazed raised donut at 5:00 AM

Christy said...

Thanks Mama. By all means, share it :)

Amy Button said...

A beach day- I'm so jealous! I especially love Siesta Key. So glad you had a nice day. It is refreshing to have some time with no one pulling on you for attention and to just have some girl talk.

claibornes corner said...

That is a beautiful photo - I trying to figure it out as a painting!!! That was nice of Andrew to call his Uncle Kenny today!

Mary said...

Pretty pictures. Sounds like a perfect day. I like you're new banner too. You have a great eye.

Penny Sue said...

beautifully written as always...I feel as though I too escaped to the beach for the day...(although we don't have sand in MI.:-)) thank you for sharing...I miss the Florida beaches desperately.

frabjouspoet said...

I shrieked when you used the description "pale as vampires". Now I have a smile on my face that I know you alone can appreciate fully. :) (Oh, and I LOVE the umbrella and "ceremony" photos...they are fabulous!)

Christy said...

Penny - I'm happy to take you there...you know, in an imaginary way :)

Ali - I'm very proud of myself for making you shriek. And I am appreciating that smile ever so much!