Wednesday, June 10, 2009

At Least It's Something

You are looking at what is sure to be the bulk of our tomato harvest for this season.
I know. Sad, but true.

Apparently, I went all-out with tiny tomato varieties. What we have here are a few Super Sweets, Jelly Beans, Green Grapes and a Chocolate Cherry. The Chocolate Cherry one? Yum.

They're all pretty tasty, actually. I'll probably skip the green one next time around just because it's tough to tell when it's ripe, you know? It's green all the time.
We've had weird weather. The spring was super-dry and very hot and then, when the sky decided to let us have a bit of rain, it just let loose the heavens and poured and poured. So, we had trouble keeping everything from withering in the beginning and then we were beset with mold and mildew and stem rot and blights of all nature. I have read other experienced gardeners are having tomato trouble this year too, so that makes me feel a little bit better. All in all, we've had several good handfulls of tasty little tomatoes for munching and, well, it could be worse. We mightn't have had any. I don't exactly have a green thumb.
All is not lost. We have learned a lot this time around. We have a couple of summer veggies growing. The black-eyed peas are going gangbusters, but they're covered with aphids, I think. I'll have to address that this weekend. And we have a couple varieties of squash that are supposed to do well here in the summer and even a couple of supposedly warm-weather-friendly tomatoes. We shall see. But, come September, we will go for tomatoes again. And maybe, maybe, maybe we'll do better. Maybe we will have a bumper crop and I will make roasted tomatoes and dried tomatoes and spaghetti sauce and bruschetta and...
I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I tend to do that.

Hubby is out of town for the rest of the week. So, I have poured myself a crisp, sweet glass of Riesling to match my crisp, sweet new nightie. The nightie and I will be filling a brand new notebook full of thoughts in order to empty out my head.

Daily Bliss: knocking one more little sewing project off my list - a long-overdue birthday present

6 comments:

Amy Button said...

I love the tomatoes!!! They're so purty. Great that you're not too discouraged and realize that it's just a tough season. Gardening is tough to get just right.

claibornes corner said...

I've never seen a chocolate tomato! What did it taste like? All my plants are doing great so far - my neighbor is going to water while we are out of town next week (not the crazy one, the nice one!) I've got to update a photo on my upside down tomatoe's - they are growing like crazy! Enjoy your wine and nightie - that sounds sooooo good...

Mary said...

What fun little tomatoes. I'm sure you've gained a lot of knowledge even if it didn't come in an edible form.

I hope your notebook brain transfer went very smoothly.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

The residents and I are about to begin a summer garden. We shall see how our luck goes up here! Ladybugs for the aphids. You can order them online and have them shipped to you, then release them in/around your garden. Works, and it's natural. BTW, thanks for the beach call. It is securely saved on my vm for my listening pleasure anytime I please. I love you!

Denise said...

Well worth the wait...well worth it indeed...I just keep admiring it!

60ish and Glad said...

I was hoping for some spillage from you bumpr crop...but guess not! Our tomato plant cost about $7.00 to take car of - fertilizer, soil, gas to go get it and water. We got one tomato. Couldn't even share it because it ws a cherry tomato.