Monday, June 8, 2009

A Couple of Lies and Some Sewing

I think I finally have my head wrapped around how this summer's schedule will work.

That's a lie.

I have only figured out how this week will work.

But that's okay. We'll muddle through the rest of it just fine. It may not be ideal - we may not have daily chess matches and literature lists to plow through. We may not exercise for 30-45 minutes every day. We may watch too many movies and play too many video games. But I think it will be pretty balanced, overall. And for now, I'm satisfied with that.

I've been working on a little shirt using one of my thrifted Goodwill sheets. It's the Spring Ruffle Top from Sew Mama Sew. Free tutorial! Yippee! It came together pretty nicely.

That's a lie.

I had some trouble with it at first, but that's because I was trying to do it late at night, with fifteen minutes of sewing time here and five minutes there. So, sometimes I sewed pieces on backward and sometimes my bobbin thread ran out in untimely fashions and I realized, too late, that the sheet had been ripped and then patched up in one place, which ended up right in the middle of the shirt's back. So I will never be able to wear it in public, I fear. Unless I can pull off that whole boho-chic, ragamuffin look. Come to think of it, I do usually look like a ragamuffin. Maybe I'll be able to wear it after all!
But I haven't even gotten around to hemming it because it was really a practice run. A wearable muslin, if you will. I wanted to see if the pattern would work to create My Perfect Nightie! I've been looking for a nightie pattern for a long time. I'm super-picky about what I sleep in.
No sleeves.
Nothing around the neck.
No pants.
No elastic.
Must be pretty.
Must be loose, but not sloppy.
So this little shirt...if I made it longer, it would be my perfect nightie!
I bought yards and yards of the prettiest, sheer blue cotton broadcloth. I bought some gorgeous floral, lacy trim that was on clearance. It's the perfect shade of blue. It was fate, I'm sure.
And tonight, I nearly finished it! Only, it's late. I dragged out the sewing machine and my pin box and my scissors and everything was going well until I sewed the chest band on inside-out. That was my cue to put it down for the night.
No worries, though. That nightie is almost ready. I've waited a very long time for this and I can wait just a little longer, I'm sure. I'll finish it tomorrow night because Chris is going out of town on Wednesday and somebody has to pin the straps in just the right place before I sew them down. I sure can't reach back that far!

Daily Bliss: Fresh figs! I've been waiting for them to come in season and they're finally here!

Wake-Up Playlist: Ugh. I'm embarrassed to admit this. I really loathe this song, actually and I've been so mad all day that I'd have to own up to it being in my head - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Facedown - I apologize.

5 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Hey, we all have to lie sometimes! Can't wait to see the nightie - I used to make mine too (and out of a sheet) - aren't they great. But I haven't sewn since the "art" took over so I'm down to huge t-shirts!!!

Mary said...

I hope this summer is fantabulous. I'm sure the nightie will help.

Kate said...

Oh! I simply LOVE the shirt! I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the pointer to another very cool blog.

Amy Button said...

I love the shirt too. Your sewing escapades sound like mine- only you end up finishing the stuff you make ;-)

Fresh figs! Yippee! OK, I have to admit that I haven't ever actually tasted a fresh fig. But I really want to and it's on my list of trees to plant someday.

Amy Button said...

Oh, and no need to be embarrassed about your playlist. I haven't heard of any of these songs anyway so you could have said it was the coolest song ever and I wouldn't know ;-)