Monday, June 22, 2009

Contents

I was trying to clean up my house a little bit this afternoon because our annual pest control inspection is tomorrow. We, of course, don't want the pest control company to know that we do anything that might attract little buggies, so we quickly clean up the evidence and whistle to ourselves while the expert walks around our house.
When I was working in the kitchen, I was struck that the contents of my counter top were so random that it was a little funny. I like to keep the things I need quick access to out in plain sight (Chris likes them all to be put away regardless of how present the need is, but that's for another post). I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but it would seem that the contents of my counter reveal the state of my life at the moment.


And so I give you fever-controlling implements and congestion prevention, aloe for sunburns, lemons that were zested for muffins, oranges that Emma picked at the fruit stand, a green jalapeno pepper that has sat so long on the counter it turned red and some bubble soap that Emma made from a recipe in one of her books. I don't know why there's a marble in it.
Need I say more?

Daily Bliss: leftover watermelon lemonade
Wake-up Playlist: Kings of Leon, Arizona

6 comments:

Mary said...

That's funny. It is an odd assortment.

Now I'm looking around me to see what my counter tops say about my life. Yikes.

Amy Button said...

Travis is the same way. He'll put everything away no matter how difficult it is to get to it again. Funny.

frabjouspoet said...

I, too, am now thinking of what's on my counters. Kitchen towels. Knives. Cooking utensils in a crock. The dish drainer. (And I hate the dish drainer sitting there!)

60ish and Glad said...

I guess I am like Chris and Travis. Your dad - he's like you. But, because he knows my obsession to put it all away, he hides little things so they are convenient - like under the bread basket, on the window sill behind the curtain - or along side the toaster. (which is where the last issue of Wood Journal was hiding, that I threw away while cleaning the toaster. I saw him looking for it - and smiled to myself as the second place he looked was the garbage. I didn't mean to throw it away - it just was a natural reaction.

Oh, and I know why the marble is in the soap.

Christy said...

Mama! Why is the marble in the soap?!?

60ish and Glad said...

When women made soap - way back then, they placed a marble in it to keep it mixed when you want to use it without shaking it and making too many bubbles. You twirl the marble round and round.